Chapter 5

Yang and Blake sat in the cafeteria, Blake eating a tuna sandwich for dinner, while Yang just had coffee.

The two girls were looking through the book they found in the library, occasionally reading parts out to each other.

"Vampires became extinct during the Great War; when a woman's family was murdered in their home in Mistral, she declared war as a result." Blake read.

Yang flinched, that was way too familiar for her liking.

"Her name was Salem, and her family were rumored able to see the brother gods." Yang continued.

"What was she like?" Blake asked, as though Yang had met her.

"Hm... she was well known for being really beautiful and kind, and in another war, she led an army and won." Yang explained. "That was how she met her husband."

Blake stared at her suspiciously, Yang just pointed at the page that had everything she just said. "Oh."

Yang chuckled and turned the page. "Salem wanted to obtain immortality, and the night she did was also when her family was killed."

"So someone didn't like what she found and wanted to get rid of her?" Blake offered.

"Maybe," Yang agreed. "She used what she found to turn into a vampire, then went to get help in avenging her family, when no one helped her, she vowed to kill every vampire in Remnant." Blake shuddered at the thought.

"Her appearance changed too." Yang pointed to a picture of a woman split in half; one had an old fashioned dress and long blonde hair, while the other had white hair, pale skin, and her veins stood out.

"Does that happen to all vampires?" Blake asked.

"It can, but it's super rare." Yang answered. "It usually happens when vampires give into their dark emotions."

"What if I became a vampire?" Blake asked.

"Would you wanna look like that?" Yang asked in return.

"...No."

Yang nodded with an air of wisdom, her real age peeking through.

"Couldn't Salem have just revived her family?" Blake asked.

"I guess, yeah she could've." Yang realised. "Wonder why she didn't."

Blake just shrugged and turned back to the book, missing the pained look on Yang's face.

"There were faunus who fought with her," Blake frowned. "But faunus fought with the vampires, didn't they?"

Yang shook her head.

"Not until Vincent Frost, faunus liked vampires, but didn't fight with them until he started enslaving them, vampires protected them, so faunus fought with them." Yang explained.

Blake hummed in understanding.

"I wonder where Ruby and Weiss are." Yang said, changing the subject as she finished her coffee and stood up.

"In Vale, I think." Blake answered despite it being rhetorical.

"We should head back," Yang suggested, grabbing the book.

"Yeah," Blake agreed, stopping on their way out when her scroll went off.

"Ruby?" Blake greeted. "Hello--"

Blake cut herself off, looking worried at whatever Ruby said.

"We're on our way." she said, hanging up.

Yang stared at her worriedly.

"Ruby and Weiss had a run in with Roman Torchwick in Vale." Blake explained.