one

august 14, 7:50 a.m.

he met her.

luke slid into a random seat just as the bell rang on his first day of senior year. one more year until i'm outta of this hell-hole, he thought. little did he know, there was someone who would make school less of a living hell.

"hello and welcome back to school, class. as you all know, i'm mr. johnson, and i'm your ap calculus bc teacher. the rumors you may have heard are possibly true," the math teacher droned on and on.

luke had decided to take one hard class senior year while the rest were laid-back and blow-off classes. he already had all his credits that he needed for an academic honors diploma, plus more. he was extremely smart and was third in his class. and math was just his favorite subject; there was always a right answer.

"now, i have a seating chart already," mr. johnson admitted, cuing the groans. luke rolled his eyes as he and everyone else stood up. mr. johnson called out each student's full name (you could feel the embarrassment building up in the musty room) and point to his or her new seat.

"lucas robert hemmings." luke's cheeks flushed a bit as he sat in his appointed seat. it was the desk in the left corner in the back. luke had to repress a groan from slipping out of his mouth; instead, he let a quiet sigh escape his lips. he always thought the back was the worst place to sit. everyone's heads were in his line of vision, making it hard to see the board at the front. he fiddled with his lip ring as he waited to see which big-headed, wanna-be, --

"estrella clara rivera," mr. johnson pointed to the seat in front of luke. a girl sat in the desk and faced him in one swift motion.

"hello, i'm estrella," she stuck her hand out as she smiled. luke shook her hand hesitantly, a small smile making its way on his face.

"i'm luke." with that, estrella turned back around, making her hair swing a bit. it sent a lovely mixture of vanilla, fresh soap, and bubblegum smell toward his direction. she leaned back in her chair, the tips of her dark hair barely touching luke's desk.

for once, luke didn't mind that someone's head was in front of him and in his way. for he thought estrella was beautiful.

hello I'm gillian, and I hope you liked the first chapter! it sucks and maybe a bit quick, I know, but I'm horrible at writing beginnings. thanks for reading though! and btw, "estrella" isn't pronounced like "estreLLa", it's like "estreYa". yeah I made her hispanic bc I barely see any fanfics where the girl is of a different race so I hope that's ok. thank you again!