nine

april 13

estrella was complicated and beautiful and wonderful. but she would never tell anyone what was going on with her. luke would get so frustrated sometimes. he could see her cracking and breaking, and he was so terrified that someday she would shatter into pieces. and there was nothing luke could do to help, because estrella was too stubborn, and luke was too afraid.

"so where is your partner-in-crime?" asked michael as he opened his brown bag of wendy's. (since they were seniors, they were allowed to leave at lunch and find something better than the boring cafeteria food.)

"yeah, she usually eats with us?" calum questioned, taking a sip from his wendy's cup.

"she might be sick. she said she didn't feel well the other day," luke tried to shrug it off. she was always at school so it was a bit strange that she wasn't there.

"it's a bit weird," ashton rose his eyebrows. luke shrugged once again as he opened his water bottle. moments of silence filled between the group of best friends, giving luke too much time to think. his emotions were bubbling and brimming, and he wanted to ask his friends what was wrong with this macrocosm.

"sometimes," luke blurted out, "sometimes i feel like estrella doesn't love me the same way i do." his cheeks reddened at the confession he just made. he felt regret, but yet relief, swoop through him. he knew his friends would make some sort of a contradiction, and luke's worry about her love would go away.

but ashton, michael, and calum didn't say anything to reassure him. they tried to remember a time when estrella did look at luke like he was everything in her universe. but she only saw him like he was a galaxy, large compared to some of the smaller things but still too little to everything else.

their silence only terrified luke.

well, for most of you, finals start on monday or tuesday or something (mine start tuesday), good luck to all of you taking finals! and if you've already taken them, I pretty sure you did well! thank you for reading! ilysm:)