two

september 13

apparently luke and estrella have been going to school together for almost four years. how have we just met? he thought, doodling on the margins of his math notes. sure he might have seen her around the halls a few times, but they were glances and just never long enough for him to really notice her.
at least they were getting to know each other.

the first week of school, luke would slide into his seat right when the bell rang at 7:50 a.m. (most of the seniors did that anyways). estrella would already be in her seat, waiting for luke since 7:42 a.m. they would only have five (seven if they were lucky enough) minutes to talk about nothing and everything. then class would start when mr. jonnson would turn off his phone of what he's watching (all students knew he watched porn before class, and they never said anything about it) and pull out his earbuds. every morning, with a tense expression and rigid position, mr. johnson would sit at his desk, rush through the notes in a sloppy manner, and practically run out of the room to relieve himself in the bathroom for ten minutes.

the classroom would build with an awkwardness for a few silent moments until estrella would laugh. some would ignore her and others would send her weirded-out looks. she would turn around and try to explain between breaths why it was sososo funny but fail epically. she would cover her opened mouth with her hand, her hazel eyes squinting into slits, her small shoulders shaking with laughter.

her laugh was wind chimes in a summer night's breeze. some might think it was too loud and obnoxious. but to luke, it was bell-like and shiny and just so damn alluring.

he would remain quiet, wanting to hear every bell tone.

the second week of school, luke started coming to class at 7:41 a.m., just so he could see estrella confidently walk in and smile at him. and they would have more time to talk about nothing and everything. when mr. johnson would rush out of the room at approximately 8:06 a.m., and estrella would turn around and laugh, luke decided to laugh along and ignore everyone's critizing glances.

"now excuse me, I have to go to the restroom," mr. johnson mumbled as he left, leaving the door wide open.

"okay," estrella turned around as usual, "how does he get away with this?" her giggles came to an abrupt stop, and there was a quiet, still moment. sure all their classmates were still chattering around them, but for luke, everything seemed to stop. estrella leaned closer as a grin crept on her face. luke leaned forward a bit as if what she was about to say could change the way people think.

"are we considered friends now?" her voice barely above a whisper. and luke knew he was in love.

okay, maybe not love, because it was too fast and too blurry, but luke sure did feel the warm fuzziness surge through his veins and the butterflies beginning to flutter in his stomach.

but maybe it was.

this was a bit long oops. i hope this chapter wasn't too confusing idk i just felt like it was? i hope u liked it though and sorry this took forever to update!!! if u are planning to read this story, thank u so much, you're amazing!