four

november 8

"you know what would be cool?" luke asked, drawing a little star in the corner of his planner. they were at the library on a saturday afternoon, sitting side by side and finishing homework together.

"hmm?" estrella hummed, smiling at the sight of luke's drawing; she knew he was thinking about her. she had her chin in her hand when luke playfully tapped her arm with his pen.

"it would be cool, really cool, to meet your parents," luke looked estrella in the eyes, waiting to see her reaction.

estrella never really talked about her parents or her life in general. she was a bit of mysterious, and luke was curious, but he didn't want to seem nosy so he never asked.

estrella had the same look she had before she agreed on their first date and before she said yes to when luke asked if they were official.

"please? it'd be fun," luke tried to convince her. it's a bit unusual for someone to request on meeting his or her partner's parents, but luke wanted an insight into estrella's life, and he thought this was the only casual way.

"um, sure. does tonight sound good?"

"yeah, sounds good." there was a short awkward and painful silence that followed. estrella was staring off into space, and luke didn't want to interrupt whatever she was thinking about. he went back to doodling more little stars on his planner.

"hey, luke," estrella snapped out of her daze, "i was wondering how to do problem 28?"

*

even though he suggested it, luke was incredibly nervous.

the rest of the time they were at the library, luke had hoped that maybe estrella would prep him for meeting her parents, but she didn't. she didn't even encourage him. she didn't say anything about it.

"are you ready?" estrella questioned quietly. the two were standing in front of estrella's front door, and luke tried to calm his breathing. he could feel her gaze on him so he looked down at her.

luke sometimes didn't understand how confident and fierce estrella was. she was small, especially compared to him; the very top of her head barely reached luke's shoulder. it was kind of funny to luke actually. he was a tall and broad human being, but he was the more timid and quiet one of the relationship, and estrella was the opposite. he liked her like that.

"let's do this, okay?" estrella tried to assure luke; she slipped her hand into luke's, intertwining them and giving a gentle squeeze.

when estrella unlocked the door, luke was not expecting what actually happened.

"hello, dad," estrella addressed the man in the living room who was reading a book.

"who's this?" he snapped, surprise and anger evident in his eyes.

"this is my boyfriend," she replied, holding luke's hand in both of hers. luke didn't mind that her hands felt a bit sweaty; he was too scared to really notice.

then the yelling started.

it was between estrella and her dad, most likely in spanish. (in this moment, luke regretted not taking spanish, because he didn't understand at all.) estrella's mother walked in, gave luke a sympathetic smile, and took estrella's side (of what luke could tell). with three people yelling at each other in a language he didn't understand, he felt extremely uncomfortable. he gave estrella's hand a squeeze and let go, slipping out the front door.

luke wasn't that rude of a person. he did walk out, but he sat in his car and waited, shivering a bit.

after about seven minutes, estrella bursted out the front door and slid into the passenger seat, not saying a single word. she stared straight ahead, avoiding luke's eyes.

"i'm sorry," luke apologized quietly, confused on what just happened. estrella finally looked at him, a bewildered look on her face.

"don't be sorry," she furrowed her eyebrows. (luke thought it was very cute when she did that; he wanted to squish her face to his and kiss the skin between her brows... of course he resisted.)

estrella explained how her dad didn't want her dating anymore in high school and how it could mess up her studies.

"he'll come around; don't worry," she smiled, "i should probably go back in." estrella leaned in, brushing her lips with luke's and then fully kissed him.

sure it wasn't their first kiss together, but the same excitement still surged through him.

since this is chapter four, I just wanna say FOUR is so amazing. it's been on repeat since it came out and probably will be for the next few months. aND THE NIGHT CHANGES VIDEO OHMFND ITS SO CUTE AND FUNNY HDKAJD HSK!!!!!!!!! and oh, btw if you didn't already know, "estrella" means "star" in spanish... I know it's cheesy and dumb af but!!!! who cares right??? and thank you for reading, ilysm! :D