five

december 31

"it's almost the new year!" luke shouted excitedly as he stood at the kitchen counter and scooped some bean dip onto his chip.

"ah, yes, a new year for new promises," estrella smiled, resting her chin in her hand. she was sitting at the high table in luke's kitchen, swinging her feet. she wore a big blue sweater and baggy gray sweatpants and mismatching fuzzy socks. luke just wanted to scoop her up and cuddle her, she looked so cute and so warm. he resisted it, thinking it would be weird.

"so will you be my new years kiss?" luke leaned on the kitchen counter, bashing his eyelashes and making a kissy face; he always had a persistent goal of making estrella break into a smile or erupt with laughter.

"nah, i think i'm kissing your dog," estrella smiled a lovely smile. luke tried pouting, but he couldn't help smiling like an idiot.

later that night, estrella received a text that changed her mood completely. she faked the smiles and forced out laughs when needed. luke wanted to ask what was wrong, but he didn't know exactly how.

one minute before the new year, luke, estrella, and his parents (his brothers were out with their own friends or girlfriends, who knows) gathered in the living room. the ball drop and live countdown in new york were on the tv.

when there was thirty seconds left, the hemmings and estrella stood up and began to countdown out loud.

when the live countdown reached 00:00:00, luke grabbed estrella by the waist and pulled her into a kiss; he was smiling into it until he realized something felt different, something felt wrong.

estrella didn't kiss back.

I hope you like the chapter!! I know it's kinda short and rushed and maybe a bit boring... and we're almost halfway through with the story! thank you so so so much for reading!! ily:)