Chapter 87

CHAPTER EIGHTY-SEVEN

As they left the warmth of the bubbling hot tub Ricky carried Christine's still trembling nude body to the sanctity of the yet unused king size bed. He pulled down the exquisite red velour comforter and the sheet underneath and placed her within its warmth. He propped a pillow for under her head and brought the ice bucket, Dubonnet, and glasses to the bed, where he poured each of them another glass.

She watched in fascination as he strutted his nude body across the room.

"I don't know how much more of this I can take." Her voice cracked as she downed a long swig of wine.

"Well, I don't either, but I sure hope there's room for a few more surprises. The night ain't over yet, Darlin'" Ricky went to the hall closet where he retrieved the parcels, bringing them back to the bed. He slid under the sheets, his body touching her still smoldering skin.

He handed the first large brown bag parcel, which she peeked into.

"What...? how...? Who gave you my little red suitcase?" She pulled the suitcase from the bag.

"Who do you think. I talked to Charlotte and she said you have duplicates of all your personal needs in the suitcase, along with freshly washed clothes. She added some girlie essentials, and I asked her to pack that little black dress that I enjoy so much. End of story!"

"Ricky, you are just too much?" She took his face in her two hands crimping his lips and laying a big kiss on him. "You went to all that trouble just to surprise me? And, the black dress...why."

"Because pretty soon we're going back downstairs to celebrate and I want my Princess in my favorite black dress."

"That would a great ending to an...I don't even have the good enough words...an unbelievable..." Christine placed the suitcase on the floor beside the bed. "Okay, do you want me to start getting ready?"

She began to climb out of bed, but was stopped by Ricky reaching for her wrist. "Not so fast, we're not finished here." He slid the other brown bag toward her. "You need to open this first. This is the most important surprise."

"Ricky, there's nothing more you need to do, you have surprised me with each thing and I just can't believe all you've done, and...."

"Shh! Just look in the bag!"

"It's gift wrapped!" She pulled the gift from the bag. "And in my favorite color."

"Well, don't just gawk at it, silly. Open it."

She pulled on the bow which released the ribbon. Then she curiously lifted the lid and retrieved the thin wrapped package. She carefully removed that gift wrapping which exposed the brown manila envelope. "This is a copy of my promotion letter from Appleton, right?"

"I don't think so. But you can keep guessing ...or you can just open it!"

She undid the clasp and peered inside cautiously, as if something was going to jump out at her. She slowly pulled the document from the envelope revealing the seal of the Province of Quebec and displayed, in bold words across the header, "Décret de Dissolution de Mariage," Marriage Dissolution Decree.

Christine froze in place, her breath seeming to stop, her eyes fixed on the paper, her tears rolling down her face. She jumped from the bed and ran to the bathroom.

He raced after her, finding her curled up in the corner of the cold tiled floor, her shoulders quivering as she sobbed uncontrollably.

Ricky sat on the floor beside her taking her in his arms and rocking her like a baby. "This is not the reaction that I expected." He lifted her chin, so he could see her face. "I love you honey, I wanted this to be joyous for you. Are you okay?"