Chapter 75

CHAPTER SEVENTY-FIVE

With the glow of his incredible encounter with Christine still dominating his consciousness, Ricky endeavored to clear his mind so that he could concentrate on the "Bound For Success" meeting at hand. The main topic today was to be the opening of the Metro Station directly into Eaton's basement.

This project; the construction of the basement store entryway directly into the ultra-modern Montreal Metro station, Métro de Montréal, was probably the biggest development project for the downtown Montreal Eaton's store since the 1925 purchase of the original Goodwin's store. The unique system, was inspired by the Paris Metro subway system, and clearly mirrored their station's design and rolling stock.

The 26 , running on three separate lines, was to be operated by the , STM, and destined to become Montréal's' premier form of .

The new Eaton's Metro station was to be inaugurated by Montreal's, Mayor ; which was the subject of today's "Bound for Success" meeting.

As the last team member wandered in, Robert Appleton opened the meeting. "Gentlemen and Lady," he began, acknowledging Heidi Mullins, the 5th Floor Furniture Manager, "today we stand at the cusp of the Eaton's of tomorrow. Every Eaton's Montreal employee shall have the privilege of embarking on an unprecedented journey into the twentieth century. The opening of our basement store, directly into the new Metro station, is destined to bring thousands of new customers into our store," he paused for effect.

"But this privilege should not be considered a God-given right. This is a privilege earned by yourselves and our employees through dedication and hard work, and it wasn't easy. For many of you, you've had to completely restructure your departments to accommodate traffic flow, while others have had their selling areas significantly reduced," he looked around the boardroom table.

"The largest area of upheaval, over the past two years of planning, of course, has been our basement store operation. Almost without exception, every department has been affected. And, please keep in mind, that the basement personnel's hard work and sacrifice, wasn't easy. But it is ultimately going to benefit every upper floor selling area, too! So, when one of your basement counterparts asks a favor to borrow a cash register, or a particular display, just remember that the increase on your bottom-line profits is directly attributed to their sacrifices," Appleton pointed to each individual around the table.

"Now, we have just a few weeks left to put the finishing touches on a smooth opening of the Metro, which I'll cover shortly. But first, we have the honor of hearing from Mister Jacques van der Court, who has been senior engineer of the Metro project, since it began... Mister van der Court."

"Thank you, Mister Appleton," he stood, and went over to a large flip chart. "Since I understand that you have already been through a presentation with my boss, Harvey Clarke, I won't bore you with the station designs, the rolling stock, or the various Metro routes. But I think it will be interesting to bring you through the history and development of the Metro project," he flipped to a page bearing numerous dates and graphics.

"I'm sure that many of you think that the idea for the underground Metro started just a decade ago, but you may be surprised to learn that Montreal mass-transit planning dates back to eighteen sixty-one where a first line of horse-drawn cars started to operate on Saint James Street. Eventually, as Montreal grew, a comprehensive network of electric streetcar lines provided service almost everywhere. But because of urban congestion and inclement weather, the lines started to take its toll on streetcar punctuality, and so the idea of a metro was soon considered."

"The first Metro proposal, dates back to nineteen ten when the city planned for a single line to run underneath Bleury Street, at Craig Street and all the way up to Mont Royal with several other underground expansions planned at the same time. Because of unavailable funding the plan was abandoned. However, in nineteen forty-four the proposed a two-line network, running underneath from Street. to , and a second line under to ," he followed the routing on his chart. "Unfortunately, that too, never got off the ground."

"In nineteen fifty-three the newly formed Montreal Transportation Commission proposed a single line, running under Sainte Catherine from to where the line would have turned south, going underneath , all the way down to , where several extension were to branch off."

"In nineteen sixty-three the last proposal was the closest to what we have today. Part of the urgency was because of the Expo Sixty-Seven World's Fair, which required an underground line to serve the island site of Île Sainte-Hélène where the Expo was being held. Because of economics, I truly believe that had it not been for the necessity of mass transit for Expo Sixty-Seven, the Metro that we are about to open, would not have come to fruition. Questions?" he asked.

John Witherspoon raised his hand, "With just the three lines that we are beginning now, are there additional lines planned for the future?"

"Yes, the city has committed annual funds to an ongoing program of developing not only new lines throughout the city, but branches out into the off-island suburbs."

"We've all seen the pictures of new subway cars fashioned after the Paris subway, but I understand that actual station designs also simulated Parisian detail, is that correct?" Heidi Mullins asked.

"Good question. In fact, the entrances to the metro station looks exactly like a station, down to an original gate which is a gift from the city of Paris. The special designs for the Metro stations were heavily influenced by Montreal's severe winter conditions. Unlike other cities' metros, nearly all our station entrances are completely enclosed. Usually they are in small, separate buildings with swiveling doors meant to mitigate the wind caused by train movements that can make doors difficult to open and close. Additionally, all separate entrances are set back from the sidewalk, as well as several stations in which are directly connected to buildings, just like here at Eaton's. These entrances inside existing buildings and at street-level entrances, make the Metro an integral part of what will become, Montreal's ."

Ricky raised his hand.

"Yes, Mister Livingston, isn't it?" he questioned. "You were on the Underground City advisory committee, representing Eaton's, were you not?"

"Yes, Sir, thank you for remembering," Ricky acknowledged. "What measures have the put in place to address security issues within the various stations both during and after, regular commercial store closings?"

"The Montreal Police Department has been tasked with developing a separate, fully funded agency to handle security, much like the transit police in many American cities. Additionally, after business hours, Eaton's gates will be closed to the Metro, and passengers will be required to use the stairs to ascend and descend to the street level. Regular beat cops will be required to patrols the stairs, from the street level, and then, traverse each of the subway platforms."

Mr. van der Court scanned the table for additional questions. "If there are no more questions, I thank you for the opportunity to speak with you, and look forward to seeing you again when Mayor Drapeau officially opens your station."

As he departed the group stood and gave him a round of applause.

"So, now we know how it all began," Appleton continued. "But now we have to make sure we are ready."

"Please take notes," he directed.

"Number one. Each of you are to have floor responsibility for making sure every ingress and egress position has clear bi-lingual signage directing people to the Metro entry in the basement floor level.

Number two. Every register stand is to have a supply of Metro route maps.

Number three. Mister Livingston, you need to delegate responsible parties to ensure that the subway advertising cases are up to date with the most recent newspaper ads, on a daily basis.

Number four, for all of you," he looked around the room, "you need to build the enthusiasm, in every single Eaton's employee, concerning the opening of the Metro. When I make my rounds, I do not want to see anything but smiling faces, understand?"

"Yes Sir," a chorus rang out.

"Then, let's get back to work!" he smiled, adjourning the meeting.