Chapter 77

CHAPTER SEVENTY-SEVEN

After his January 3rd experience with Christine, Ricky was looking forward to his therapy session with Doctor Markovitz, which he hoped would be his last. Ricky plopped down on the sofa adjacent to the doctor.

"Richard, the last we heard from you, was that you had canceled your sessions indefinitely. I was fearful that you had abandoned my assistance. Was there a development that caused your cancellation?"

Ricky related all the Eaton's events that had transpired that had kept him busy since his last session.

"So, you were part of this foiled robbery attempt at the store that I read in the paper? That had to be frightening, yes?"

"Yes, that along with all the other stuff that I was trying to handle made life extremely stressful during that same time."

"My boy, that was probably when you needed to see me most of all! But I'm sensing more calm from you, than stress, so I also believe that something maybe, something good, has happened in your life? Yes? I've never seen you look so happy. Am I reading something that is not there?"

"There's been a nice change to my normally turbulent life, but we can get to that later," he smiled coyly.

"If you remember, I thought I detected that same excitement at the end of our last session."

"Yeah, it was there, but it got much, much better."

"I'm intrigued! Anything that finally makes you happy, is progress."

"Well, then I guess I have really progressed, Doc."

"Good...good. Now, last session I wanted you to concentrate on your present home life situation, your feelings of sexual inadequacy, and any outside interest that may be occupying your mind, yes?"

"To start with my home life, Doc, my wife has moved out of the house and I have filed for divorce and custody of Darlene, so that issue is about to be solved."

"Excellent. And how do feel about this burden being lifted from your shoulders?"

"It was a situation that I always considered as hopeless...something I thought that I would be saddled with for the rest of my life. And then, with the help of some friends the problem was solved. I sleep better, eat better and smile more. I now know what happiness can be. I always lived as my personal morality dictated, which was that I had made my bed and had to lie in it, as the old proverb says."

"But not all proverbs are made to cover all circumstances, Richard. Yours was unique. You had a wife which seemed to have a mental illness, or at the very least, a deep psychological disturbance that she refused to acknowledge, or seek treatment for. Her actions were destructive to you, your daughter and your marriage in general, yes?"

"That's right, but...,"

Markowitz interrupted. "There are no 'buts', my boy," he raised his voice, "there was just what were you prepared to do about it. Somewhere deep down you realized that this couldn't go on forever...it would have continued to cause damaging to everyone, including your wife. Your analytical mind thoroughly identified the problem and formulated a viable solution. I'm proud of you Richard."

"Thanks, Doc."

"This positive result has been a long time coming. How did you handle the wife separation situation?"

"I devised a systematic plan of action and then checked off every aspect as I achieved each of the goals. For example, you helped me to better understand my wife's illness, and that helped me to be more tolerant of her actions. That was step one towards reaching my end goal. I spent considerable time analyzing the positives and negatives regarding my marital situation. The end result dictated that a divorce was the best resolution for all three of us, regardless of my moral position on the marriage."