Chapter 21

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

The store had been relatively quiet that day, but Ricky still had to go check out the notice he got on his pager.

Ricky made his way to the north-end luggage department.

As he passed the Laura Secord Chocolate department, the salesclerk thrust three fruit flavored chocolates into his hand. "No need to choose today, Mister Livingston. Here's three of your favorites," she smiled.

"You're going to get me fat, Marissa," he replied, biting into a raspberry cream.

"I hardly think so," she blushed. "By the way, I know you love Eaton's history, but did you happen to see the article in the Toronto newspaper about the Laura Secord history? I found it fascinating."

"No, but I'd love to see it. Do you have a copy?"

"I surely do." She reached under the counter. "I never knew that our name derived from an 1812 war heroine."

"Really? I'll be very interested to read it," he replied, reading as he continued his trek towards the north end of the store.

A Box of Laura Secord

In 1913, 28-year old entrepreneur Frank O'Connor opened his first candy store in Toronto. Searching for a name that would embody a clean wholesome image, he settled on Laura Secord, a heroine of the War of 1812.

Laura Secord [nee] Ingersoll is best remembered for having walked 20 miles out of American-occupied territory to warn British forces of an impending American attack. Her contribution to the war effort was little known during her lifetime, but since her death she has been frequently honored in Canada. Surprisingly. her legacy also included being an accomplished maker of the now famous buttercream-filled Easter eggs.

Laura Secord's father, Thomas Ingersoll, lived in and fought on the side of the during the . In 1795 he moved his family to the Niagara region of after he had applied for and received a land grant. Later, Laura married James Secord, who was seriously wounded at the early in the War of 1812. While he was still recovering in 1813, the Americans invaded the , including . During the occupation, Secord acquired information about a planned American attack, and stole away on the morning of 22 June to inform Lieutenant in the territory still controlled by the British. The information helped the British and their warrior allies repel the invading Americans at the . Her effort was forgotten until 1860, when awarded the impoverished widow £100 for her service on his visit to Canada.

Laura Secord died in 1868 at the age of 93. She was interred next to her husband in Niagara Falls. Her grave is marked by a monument with a bust on top, and is close to a monument marking the .

The inscription on her grave marker reads: "To perpetuate the name and fame of Laura Secord, who walked alone nearly 20 miles by a circuitous difficult and perilous route, through woods and swamps and over miry roads to warn a British outpost at DeCew's Falls of an intended attack and thereby enabled Lt. FitzGibbon on 24 June 1813, with fewer than 50 men of the H.M. 49th Regt., about 15 militiamen and a small force of Six Nations and other Indians under Capt. and to surprise and attack the enemy at Beechwoods (or Beaver Dams) and after a short engagement, to capture Col. Bosler of the U.S. Army and his entire force of 542 men with two field pieces."

Over the years, the story of Laura Secord has taken on mythic overtones in Canada. Her tale has been the subject of books, plays, and poetry, often with many embellishments. Since her death, Canada has bestowed honors on her, including naming schools, monuments, a museum, a memorial stamp and coin, and a statue at the in .