Ch. 1 - I'm Back!

The Black Parade.

Was this death?

Five men were upon the float. The lead singer offered me his hand. I took it without a moments thought.

Gerard smiled at me, still singing his song. I smiled back, my eyes burning with hot salty tears.

‘Is this death?’ I whispered, wanting to finally know.

He cocked his head to one side, and broke away from the melody.

‘More like the transition. Purgatory, for a better term.’ He said. ‘From here, this float can go one of three ways. It can take you to heaven, or down to hell.’

‘And the third one?’ I asked quietly.

‘That is a path only a few are given the choice of. The path to go back.’ He replied.

‘Go back…’ I repeated.

‘Yes.’ He said. ‘Go back.’

I looked at my feet.

‘What are the other two options like?’ I enquired, curious.

‘Ah. Now, you need to talk to Mama.’ Said Gerard as he gestured to a woman, in a long grey dress, and a gas mask over her curly blonde hair. ‘She has seen both.’

I hopped off, and went over to the woman.

‘Excuse me? Are you Mama?’ I asked, nervously.

She turned, and under the mask, I saw a pair of bright blue eyes, the ones that could see straight into your very heart. She nodded slowly.

‘Can, Can you see without the mask?’ I continued.

She nodded again, and began fumbling with her straps. Taking it off, her hair came with it. Under it all, she was very pretty. Her face was thin, her cheekbones hollow, her long midnight black hair reached past her waist and danced in the wind. Her dress was of a light grey, and looked to be made of what could be classed of maybe cobwebs even.

‘I am Mama, or to some, Mother of the Dead.’ She smiled at me. ‘And you, you are SJ Purdy.’

I nodded.

‘You want to know about Heaven and Hell.’ There was no question in it, it was a statement. I gulped, and nodded.

‘Come, I will show you.’ She held a pale, ivory hand out, and I took it, her long, slender fingers closing around my hand, which seemed so small now. She shut her eyes, and the wind increased round me, whipping my hair. The world began to spin, and I shut my eyes, feeling my feet leave the ground. Suddenly, the winds calmed, and I landed on something.

‘You can open them now.’

I opened them. I was surrounded by a white fog. 

‘Huh? There’s nothing here.’ I said.

‘Well, what did you expect?’ she asked, sounds slightly amused.

‘I expected there to be music…’ As soon as those words left my mouth, I heard the sounds of my favourite music. ‘… and, people who I knew, having fun…’

I suddenly noticed a little girl, with blonde hair and a small boy with sandy hair, being chased by a large, Alsatian-cross-Labrador dog, which was barking happily.

‘Emma… Tommy… Pongo…’ I whispered. I focused, and saw my Grandma, who was reading a magazine, and my Granddad, bothering her for answers to the crossword.

‘For the last time Eric, it’s not Blosher, it’s Blusher, you’ve got the O wrong!’

‘I’m pretty certain Elspeth, I have not got that O wrong! But it says, a seven letter word for a make-up you put on your face!’