This Might Just Work

~~~~~~C.J.'s POV~~~~~~

   It's been four hours since the whole Lyle fiasco. I was getting ready for school. I hadn't heard anything from Lyle. After he told me about his parents, he ran off without saying anything. God, I feel like an idiot. I forget that someone can have a life just as bad as mine. I still don't think his life was as bad as mine, but Lyle isn't as strong as I am either. I could physically and mentally take more than he could, that I could already tell.

   I grabbed my backpack given to me by the Professor and went to class. Lyle sat with Sylvia, and neither of them even looked at me. That's just great. They don't even know who I really am and they already hated me.

   It was finally lunch, and after five classes with them avoiding eye contact I decided to talk to them.

   "Lyle, I just wanted to say I'm really so-"

   "Sorry about what? Being an inconsiderate, selfish jerk!" Sylvia said cutting me off. I was kind of shocked. I didn't think Sylvia was the kind of person to get angry. Lyle reached his arm out in front of her.

   "Stop, she's not even worth it," he said disappointed as he walked off.

   "Wait," I said. "Lyle, that's actually exactly what I want to apologize for." That finally got him to look up at me. "Lyle, I'm so sorry. I just… I just forget that I wasn't the only one that had a horrible life. And, for the first time, it's actually started to turn around and I don't want to lose this. It's just so great to have friends you can count on and trust. I just afraid that if I tell you about me, then I lose the best friends I've ever had." I started  to chuckled and looked down. "And I've only known you two for five days."

   I looked up to see Lyle's baby blue eyes just starring at me. He grabbed my shoulders and pulled me close to him. I could smell his cologne. It was musky but it worked for him. His brown hair was ruffled. I study every detail of his face, down to the light orange patterns that circled and twirled all over him. He blocked everything out of my head.

   At that moment, I felt his soft lips come against mine. I was in complete and utter shock, but I also didn't resist. This felt right. He pulled away after what seemed like an eternity, but in reality was only a few seconds. I just stared at him.

   "Come on, let's go back to class," he said with a smile. I just nodded. That's when I remembered Sylvia was there the whole time.

   "You know, this just might work," she said.