Chapter 6

The kits were playing moss-ball outside the nursery when Redkit accidentally tossed it behind the nursery.

"I'll get it," Tigerkit quickly said. Rushing to the nursery, she quickly padded behind it to find the moss. As she was searching for the moss, she heard voices from outside the camp. Spotting the moss partially through the camp wall, she silently sent a prayer of thanks to StarClan for this to happen perfectly.

She climbed into the wall, squeezing through the thorns. The ball was almost in reach, just a little farther...

Through the wall, she saw the apprentices and their mentors. They were training. She grabbed the ball and decided to watch for a minute or two.

Ratpaw and Seapaw were practicing the front paw strike on each other, claws sheathed. Oakpaw and Firpaw were paired up together, with Stickpaw and Lightpaw together, leaving Dawnpaw to be with her mentor, Marshfur.

Oakpaw ducked and rolled under her brother as he tried to do the strike on her. As she rolled, she pretended to rake his belly with her claws.

Oakpaw rolled out from under him and tried to do the paw strike, but Firpaw was too quick for her. She knocked Oakpaw's paws out from under her, then jumped on top of her, one paw resting lightly on her throat.

Tigerkit switched her attention to Ratpaw and Seapaw. Seapaw jumped on Ratpaw's back and held on. When Ratpaw started rolling over, she jumped off and landed on her side next to him. They both scrambled to their feet, out of breath.

Tigerkit jolted out of watching them as she remembered the real reason she was there. Quickly backing out of the wall, she hoped they hadn't realized how long she'd been gone.

Hurrying around to the front, she saw the kits waiting for her.

"There you are, what took so long?" Blackkit asked.

"Oh, the moss was stuck in the camp wall and I couldn't reach it for a bit," Tigerkit replied.

"Okay, well, c'mon, we don't have all day!"

The kits backed up and Tigerkit tossed it in the air, Redkit rushing forward to keep it off the ground.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Later that day, after playing moss-ball until sunhigh, Tigerkit walked over to the fresh-kill pile and chose a blackbird. She settled down in front of the apprentices' den and took a bite. A few minutes later, Ashpaw walked in from a hunting patrol with Darkclaw, Mousewind, Needletail, and Ashheart.

Ashpaw spotted Tigerkit and went to sit with her after dropping his prey, a mouse and vole, on the fresh-kill pile, then choosing a frog for himself.

"Hello," he said, taking a bite.

"Hello," she responded. "How was the patrol?"

"Great!" He replied. "Darkclaw caught a rabbit! I wish I was that good at hunting!"

Tigerkit smiled. "I'm sure you're good. Give it time, you're an apprentice, he's a senior warrior. Huge difference."

Ashpaw nodded and took the last bite of his frog and stood. "Well, I have to go. Darkclaw said I'm going to have a long day tomorrow! See you!" He waved his tail and padded to the apprentices' den.

Tigerkit waved her tail too and quickly finished her blackbird. She went to a puddle near the entrance of the camp and took a long drink. She looked at her reflection in the puddle and noticed how late it was getting. She quickly straightened up and headed back to the nursery.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I wrote this super quick...Thanks so much for so many reads and votes!! And thanks for 20+ fans!! Love each and everyone of you guys!! <3

-Tigertail