Chapter 13

Tigerpaw's sleep had been undisturbed the rest of the night. It was a heavy sleep, and she woke up to sun streaming through the bramble roof. She scrambled to her paws and raced out into the clearing. Cats were lazing around, some basking in the warm sun, some eating, some talking.

Tigerpaw looked around for Mousewind. She spotted Mousewind sharing a large frog with his mate, Crimsonfur. She padded over nervously, not wanting to disturb them.

Mousewind looked up, seeing Tigerpaw. "Hello, Tigerpaw!"

"Mousewind, I am so sorry I didn't wake up earlier! I didn't know how late it was getting!" Tigerpaw blurted out, her eyes wide. "How can I make it up to you?"

"Tigerpaw, I wanted you to sleep in. You've had a rough past two days. I didn't have anything planned today, so you can clean out the bedding for the elders' and queens. Ratpaw is doing it with you. Also, you both can help Cloudnight with herbs and things. And, you can both clean off the elders ticks. Now go."

And he went back to his frog with Crimsonfur.

Tigerpaw padded off to find Ratpaw. She couldn't let her mothers death get in the way of her training. She would've wanted it this way.

When she found Ratpaw, he was in the nursery, cleaning out Appleheart's old bedding. Her kits were bouncing around him. Appleheart kept trying to shoo them away.

"Go outside! Let the apprentices do their work!"

Tigerpaw gave a mrrow of amusement before she began helping Ratpaw.

Ratpaw thanked her and she dipped her head.

She rolled up the old bedding, picked it up in her jaws, then carried it out of camp where she buried it. Then Tigerpaw padded back into camp, to see Ratpaw waiting for her.

"I finished in the nursery," he mewed, "let's move onto the elders."

"Ok,"

They padded into the elders' den, Ratpaw carrying the moss.

Entering the elders' den, they heard Mousetail grumbling about their old bedding. Tigerpaw exchanged a glance with Ratpaw before meowing, "Well that's why we're here!"

Treeclaw flicked his tail in amusement. "Well, Mousetail. You seem to have summoned the apprentices."

Ratpaw dropped the moss and started busying himself cleaning their nests.

"And we're here to take your ticks away!" Tigerpaw added. "Although I'm not excited about it."

Ratpaw and Tigerpaw quickly cleared out the elders' nests. She left to get some mouse bile from the medicine den. Padding in, she saw Cloudnight looking worriedly down at Shiningpaw. Barkpaw was by her side, but Barkpaw must've scented Tigerpaw because she hurried up to the front.

"Afternoon, Tigerpaw. What'd you need?"

"I needed some mouse bile for the elders' ticks. I've been quite busy with chores..."

Barkpaw nodded and got her the mouse bile. "Remember to wash your paws after you use it! Nasty that mouse bile."

"Oh I'll remember!" Tigerpaw meowed. "I don't want that nasty stuff on my tongue!"

Barkpaw laughed and waved her tail. "Good luck!"

"Goodbye!" Tigerpaw mewed, waving her tail back. She padded back to the elders' den. Ratpaw was waiting for her.

"She's finally back!" She heard Mousetail meow under his breath.

Tigerpaw padded over to Mousetail first, figuring she'd best get him done first.