Eight (Part 1)

Eight (Part 1)

Ken cries out as he hits the ground with a loud thump. He clutches his leg in pain and gasps for air as another figure drops down from the tree in all black, holding a knife out toward me defensively.

I throw another arrow into my bow, and aim it at him, my feet planted solidly on the ground, and my breathing steady.

He doesn't move.

He knows I couldn't shoot a person.

But I know he couldn't stab someone either.

"Ken, get over here, you idiot!"

I drop my arms, confused as the second boy runs over to help the boy I knew as Ken. The boy props him up on his shoulder, and I point my arrow at them again.

"You couldn't shoot someone, Eenie," Ken number one says to me, spitting dirt out of his mouth.

He hobbles forward with Ken number two under his arm.

"Just did," I hiss.

"Put it down," He says as they stop a few feet away from me. "It's just us here."

Ken number two looks exhausted. I could out run both of them, I could if I tried. I've never been much of a runner, but I could try...

"I don't believe you," I say, keeping my arrow aimed at the second Ken, still debating on running or not.

"Really?" He laughs. "You shot an arrow through my leg. You owe me."

"I don't owe you anything," I spit. "Who are you really?"

"I'm a part of the-"

"Your name, idiot!"

He smirks, and pulls out the arrow with a cry.

"Ouch," He breathes. "Does more damage coming out than going in. Ken, give her the shoes we brought."

The boy lets go of the idiot, making him stand on his good leg, and reaches around to unclasp a pair of running shoes from his black shorts. He tosses them to me, and they land with a light thud on the crisp leaves on the ground. I can barely see them, but they look like standard Dome shoes-bright colors and no white nor black on them anywhere.

"You've lost your touch at sneaking around in the woods," The idiot laughs, pressing his hand against his wound. "Just put the bow down and we can talk."

"Why should I trust you?"

"Because I got you here in the first place without killing you."

"That doesn't mean anything," I snarl.

"Eenie, you shot me in the leg! There is no way I'm able to attack you!"

"That's not true."

He groans.

"Please?! If we were going to kill you or rat you out, you'd be at camp or dead by now."

I look at the two boys. The question of why they're out here in the first place crosses my mind for a moment.

"Fine," I sigh, and lower the arrow. Slinging the bow over my shoulder, I bend down to pick up the shoes.

"They're your foot size," The other boy stutters.

I look from the shoes to his face.

"How do you know that?" I ask suspiciously.

The boy's eyes go wide, and he looks at the idiot for help, whose face has twisted into irritation.

He sighs and shakes his head at Ken-two.