Nine (Part 2)

Nine (Part 2)

The wall, I think to myself. The wall did this to you.

Maybe the wall had some sort of chemical that reached my brain... is that possible? And if so, if I can see through holograms, then what other holograms have I seen through and not noticed?

Tanner and Claire, the caretakers-Government Officials-flash to the front of my brain. They were covered by a hologram. But why?

Who are they?

What are they?

I reach for the knob, and the hologram disappears.

Hemmings steps up behind me after a moment, standing so close I can feel his breath.

"This is the Leader's office," Guard number one tells us.

"Watch every word you say," Hemmings says quietly, his breath rustling the hair by my ear.

"Are you coming with me?" I ask, suddenly afraid of what lies behind the door.

He hesitates for a moment, and then he places his hand on top of mine on the doorknob.

"Yeah," He says, and then we turn the knob together.

The door swings open quickly.

In the center of the room, there is a long, dark brown desk with maps and papers strewn across it. Bookcases line the side walls, and books are shoved into them at every which way they can be shoved. A tall, black chair is placed behind the desk, its back to us. Whoever wanted me here, right here, is just a few feet from me. Whoever he is, he'd better have a good reason.

"Who's there?"

A woman's voice.

A familiar voice.

Hemmings nudges my shoulder, and I take a few steps into the room. He shuts the door as he inches his way in as well, the tongue of the door making a loud click as it slides into the hole in the doorframe. The sound makes me jump and my heart race.

There's no escaping this now.

I'm trapped, and I can't get away from this, no matter what I do. I've come this far... maybe I can go home after this. Maybe she'll help me get home... maybe...

"Uh..." I clear my throat. "I am-"

"Eenralla Land," The voice says, almost shocked.

My name catches in my throat as she cuts me off, and I look down at the surface of the desk nervously, picking at my nails.

"Yes?" I squeak.

I notice a picture frame on her desk, the picture unable to be seen from the reflection of the ceiling light.

"Do you know why you're here?"

"You wanted to see me," I say, taking a step forward to try and see the picture. Maybe if I have an image in my head before I see her, I'll have more leeway. She knows what I look like, but I don't know what she looks like. I'll be one step closer... Just one more step closer...

"No," She laughs quietly.

I reach for the picture and quietly pick it up.

"Actually, I wanted you to see me."

The frame has a picture of me in it.

"Didn't your mother ever tell you not to touch other peoples things?" Her hand takes the picture from me, and I look up.