Ten (Part 1)

Ten (Part 1)

I wake up to three solid cement walls around me, and a clear door leading to the hallway. Bars make up the fourth wall to my right, their silvery-gray color shining dully in the dim lighting of the cell. I can see Hemmings pacing and limping on the other side of the bars, his room almost a perfect reflection of mine.

A huge migraine hits me like a bus, and I rub my throbbing temples, in hope the pain would disappear. My fingers hit the bump on my head and I groan as I lay back down on the floor in surrender. I didn't ask for this.

"They hit you with the butt of a gun," I hear Hemmings say. I look at him, still touching the bump. He taps on the side of his forehead.

I frown at him.

"Sorry. I kind of fell. You shouldn't have shot me in the leg with an arrow," He chuckles, his eyes lighting up a bit. He looks at the ground like he's lost in thought. "You know, you sure are something else."

A small smile forms on his lips as he glances back up at me and starts to pace the room again.

My eyebrows furrow, my brain confused and dazed by the headache splitting my head in two. Pain rips through my shoulder as I heave myself off the ground.

"How is any of this funny to you?" I snap at Hemmings as he chuckles again.

I walk toward the bars that separate us, holding my arm with my hand to relieve some of the pain burning through my shoulder.

"None of it's funny," He says quietly as he walks over to the bars as well and locks his brown eyes on mine. "You're just so..."

His fingers touch my cheek, and, instinctively, I pull away. He shakes his head, as if trying to make a thought disappear.

I cross my arms across my chest and bite my lip.

"Hemmings-"

"Peter."

"What?" I say, stepping closer to the bars and wrapping my right hand around one of them, waiting to hear what he said again, waiting to hear if I heard him right or not.

"Peter," He says again, looking up at me. His movements almost seem... shy. "My name is Peter Hemmings."

Nad.

"Peter..." I whisper, looking at him wildly. He gives me a strange look as a smile quickly spreads across my face. "Peter Hemmings... You're And's brother!" I exclaim. I laugh at the the chances of meeting him the way I did. The way it all happened. It couldn't be...

"Nad? You-" He says, hobbling forward, putting his hands on he bars. "My sister? You know her?"

I nod and he smiles, tears filling his eyes as he pushes his hair back and steps away from the bars for a moment.

"My sister..." He laughs again. "How is she? She was supposed to start her job as an analyzer-how is she?"

My smile falters a little.

"Well, she's not an analyzer, but she is a Mechaneer. And-and she loves it! She's great, she really is."

Hemmings-Peter laughs one more time and reaches through the bars to take ahold of my face, pressing his lips to mine. I pull away, and he stares at me.

He blinks.

"Oh..." He pulls his hands back and steps away awkwardly. "Sorry."

I burst out into a fit of giggles that turn into laughter. My head is buzzing with energy and it pounds out my headache. My heart beats fast, adrenaline pumping through my veins, making my hands shake. Peter's face turns red as he turns in circles scratching his head. Finally he faces me again, his eyes mixed with the emotions of excitement, embarrassment, rage... and happiness.