Twenty-Five

AUTHORS NOTE

I received Trapped in print on 1/5/15. Get it now on Lulu.com!

-------------------

Twenty-Five

EENIE

My eyes flutter open to a round, white room. I try to sit up, but my head is restrained. My wrists, ankles and waist are too. I feel the prickling of needles in my head, placed awkwardly because of my hair.

President Murkas stands at a computer with a clear monitor, typing away.

"What is going on?" I ask, dazed.

My body is sore and starting to hurt again. The pain is growing faster this time.

"Eenralla Land," He says, typing furiously. "You have been quite a nuisance ever since the day you broke that swing, haven't you? Even Fiot knew you were going to be trouble. I should have stopped you before you did anything else. This Dome was made to keep us safe while we become something greater for the ones who saved our people, and you-you have been messing it up. The Rebellion needed someone like you. Needed someone like you to lead. But poor you, poor you. You just couldn't decide, could you? I knew your mother was dying, and I knew you were going to be her first choice to take over the Rebellion. At least I did something right. I trained you into doubting yourself and everything around you and everything you did. I always had someone looking over your shoulder and I always had you questioning yourself. And now, by saving your memories to the Domespeople Hard Drive, I can scan them to see where the Rebellion is located. Now it doesn't matter as much because I have complete control over each and every person again. I reset them! They won't remember anything that happened in the Rebellion, and they won't remember anything that happened in the past twenty-four hours.

"Every person inside of the Domes will now be back where they belong, and the plans for the Future Civilization will not be interrupted."

"Joke's on you," I say, pain ripping through my body. "Not everyone in the Rebellion came into the Dome."

His smile twitches and he stops everything to look at me. A smile spreads across his face again and he walks over to me.

"Oh, Eenralla Land," He says, leaning in close to me. "It's only a matter of time before everyone is ready."

"What's outside the Big Dome?" I shout over my pain.

"If you want the pain to go away, I suggest you stop talking, Eenralla Land."

"If you want me to stop talking, I suggest you let me go!" I shout, arching my back.

So much pain.

I feel a needle slip out of my head. If I can get them all out, whatever he intends to do won't be complete.

I wiggle some more, and stop when my body goes numb with pain. I can't move.

"What are you going to do to me?" I slur as my mouth goes numb.

"Eenralla Land," He says slowly, brushing his hair back with his hand. "Get ready to be wiped."

He flickers.

Wiped. Who would ever think I'd be such a screw-up that I'd be wiped by the most important man in the world? My entire body goes numb and my eyes shut.

This can't be the end of me. He's going to wipe me today, and tomorrow I'll be someone else. But maybe later that day, someone will walk by and say my name and I'll be back. Maybe I'll know it's really me before he can find out, and maybe I can bring him down. Bring the Domes down. Maybe Eenralla Land will become the most important name there ever was in our history. The girl in white. The girl who brought down the Domes. The girl who saved us from the Future Civilization. Whatever that is.

Or maybe he'll wipe me today, and tomorrow I'll be that person. And I'll be that person the next day and the next... maybe I'll never be Eenralla ever again. Never be Eenralla Land again.

Maybe these moments are the last I have with myself. Maybe I don't get anymore. Maybe this is it.

And I still hardly know who I am.

I hear the machine kick to life, the fans in the computer whirring.

Eenralla Land. Why did I ever hate that name? My mother. Why did I ever turn down her offer? My father. I wish I could have said goodbye the day they left. Nad. I wish I could have told her everything that happened while I was outside the Dome. So many things that happened. Peter. I wish I could have told him how I felt and that I thank him for protecting me. For always protecting me.

Eenralla Land.

My first name, and yet not my last.

I feel the needle that fell out brush my forehead.

Eenralla Land.

I'll just repeat it to myself.

Eenralla Land.

Maybe I won't forget.

Eenralla Land. Eenralla Land... Eenralla Land... Eenralla Land... E... Eenralla Land... Eenralla... Land... Eenralla Land... Eenralla... Een... Land... Eenralla...

Eenralla Land...

.

"Hello, Brynlea Cern."