Ten (Part 4)

Ten (Part 4)

The ladies are silent for a moment.

Peter shoves me off, and I quiet a cry as I tumble onto my shoulder.

Eriah has her gun pressed to his chest now, waiting for the say-so from Rebecca to shoot him.

I get up slowly and wait for my scolding, watching Peter. The red marks on his back and on his face have slowly have turned to bruises. The muscles in his back are surprisingly relaxed as he stands at gunpoint, and a cunning smile plays on his face.

"What's her name?"

"Eenralla Land."

"Age?"

"Seventeen."

His answers are sharp and quick.

"So, you know her?" Rebecca pauses again, Peter watching her every move.

"I've traveled with her."

"Hair color?"

"Blonde."

"Eye color?"

"Blue."

She walks up to him and stares into his eyes. The tension in the room grows immensely as the seconds roll by. She and Eriah stand shoulder-to-shoulder, Eriah's eyes on Rebecca and Rebecca's on Peter.

"Where is she?" She asks slowly.

"I don't know."

"You're lying."

He smiles. "You're good."

"I know," she returns the smile.

"But I know something else," He whispers to her.

"Really?"

He nods, his smile spreading across his face.

I hear in my head, 'it is done' over and over again. That fat mans voice echoing over and over in my mind. This is it.

This is when he gives me away.

"I know..."

My body goes cold.

"That..."

"Spit it out boy," Eriah snaps, thrusting the barrel of her gun into his chest.

Peter doesn't move. Doesn't break eye contact with Rebecca.

"I know that you don't know what she looks like."

Rebecca stares at him. A second later, she pushes the barrel of the gun away from him, Eriah watching her.

Peter looks straight into Rebecca's eyes, whose are parallel to his own. They stand, both tall, as if they're about to break out into war.

"Why do you say that, Peter Hemmings?" Her voice is low and threatening as she steps closer.

"Because she is right underneath your nose."

Just then, banging explodes from the doors. We all snap our heads around in that direction, waiting for something to happen.

The doors swing open, and one of the guards that had dragged Peter in here steps through.

"What is it?" Rebecca asks acidly, stepping away from Peter.

"There's a girl out here," He says, holding his gun tightly. "She says she's sorry she's late; it's her first day as a holder."

Rebecca and Eriah look at me, and I freeze.