Eleven (Part 2)

Eleven (Part 2)

I shake my head and open my eyes. The room seems larger now, and I step back, regaining my balance.

"Yeah, okay," I say, and I sit on the floor with my knees pulled up to my chest.

Rebecca asks many more questions, and I answer them each with one or two words.

Why was I so defensive of the questions they were asking me? It's not like they don't know any of the answers. I have no secrets. No one does. Everyone knows everything, one way or another, and there's no way you can hide anything for long.

"Thank you for your cooperation, Miss Land," Rebecca says, and I nod somberly. "Evan will bring in clothes and show you to your room."

The door opens and Evan walks through with white clothes in his hands.

"Follow me," He says chirpily.

We walk back down the hall, and he pulls open a light blue door on the right side.

"You're interesting, new girl," He says as he hands me the clothing. "You seem so conflicted though..."

He laughs and I walk into the room. My new room.

I stare blankly at the white clothes in my hands. They are the same type of rough material we used in the Domes. The same style too.

"Well," He says, breaking the silence. "See you tomorrow for more testing."

He shuts the blue wooden door and I am left alone in the small white room. I sit on the edge of the small bed in the corner and lay down. The weight of sleep takes me over, and I start to fade into unconsciousness.

I wake up the next morning and I'm led to the room with all of the tables to eat. They call it a 'cafeteria.'

I'm still wearing the black tank top and green pants. I don't want to change into the other ones.

I'm led back to the black room after eating a bowl full of mushy oats, and this time there is a table with a see-through monitor on it. I walk in and sit down, Evan shutting the first door and going through the second one.

"You will answer sixty questions. Go."

The camera turns on, and the computer screen comes to life. Questions pop up asking about patterns and things, and there's one that has something like 'if a boy has to buy a certain amount of something and can only hold a certain amount of them, how many will there be whenever'. I don't know why they want me to answer these questions, but I do it anyway. Just cooperate.

Most of them are easy, or, well, they feel easy. Only a few make me second-guess myself.

I finish off the questions and Evan leads me back to the cafeteria to eat.

"Why did you decide to give up?" Evan asks me before we reach the room.

"I answered all of the questions," I say. "I didn't give up."

"That's not what I mean. I mean, why did you give up fighting?"

I look at the door, my hand on the handle, ready to pull it open.

"I don't feel like dying," I say, and step into the room.

I stand in line to get food, and continuously stare at my plate as the women behind the counter slap food onto it. My feet lead me to a table and I sit, unconsciously shoveling the food into my mouth.

I hear the front doors to the cafeteria open, and angry voices following them. I keep my eyes down and locked on my food.

"Eenie!"