6. Growing Closer

"Lillie?!" Lucas cried. "Where are you?"

Lucas felt his heart racing, completely ignoring the fact that his bad leg was still in no condition to run as frantically as he was. But it couldn't be helped. Hearing about Lillie getting lost conjured up images of her being upset about losing her way in Hau'oli. Lillie being sad was a heartbreaking sight. He started on Route 3 since Professor Kukui came from that direction. It was a gorgeous cliffside road with a wide view of the ocean. But there was no time to admire the view. He needed to find Lillie. If there were any Team Skull grunts running around, he needed to get to her before they did. She'd be defenseless against them.

"Whoa, kid! You might want to be careful running around like that here."

Lucas turned around to see a hiker behind him.

"What? What do you mean?"

The hiker pointed up. "Wild bird Pokemon are everywhere here, and they like to swoop down on things that startle them."

Lucas looked up, and sure enough there were several Spearow in the air. If these were anything like the Spearow from the bridge by Iki Town, they were sure to attack if Lucas wasn't careful.

"Thanks for the tip," Lucas said.

The hiker nodded and waved goodbye before continuing his trek. He pursed his lips and looked at the Spearow. Some were already eyeing him down and circling him high above. It would be dumb to try and run now, not just because he might get attacked, but the pain in his leg had caught up with him, stinging his nerves, making him grunt.

"Let's see..." Lucas mumbled, taking out one of his pokeballs and tossing it to let out Magnemite. Coming out of the capsule, it seemed confused when it saw no opponent to fight. "Magnemite, how do you feel about walking around with me for a bit?" Lucas pointed up to the Spearow. "Could use some protection from an Electric-type." Magnemite cried out, seeming happy to oblige. "Thanks, bud. Stay close and be ready in case those Spearow divebomb us. I need to focus on finding Lillie."

Magnemite looked at him quizzically.

"Oh right, you haven't officially met Lillie yet," Lucas remembered. "Neither has Ralts. Don't worry. You'll love her. She's... really something." He felt his cheeks heat up.

Magnemite nodded and hovered above Lucas as he continued to walk, still limping slightly. He couldn't help but admire the view from the cliffside with the radiant sunset sky turning the a faded, yet soothing orange color.

"Alola sure is beautiful, isn't it Magnemite?" Lucas asked. Magnemite cried in agreement.

"Hey, you! Battle me!"

Lucas looked to his side to see a guy trainer about his age readying a pokeball.

"Not now, dude," Lucas said. "I'm really in a hurry."

"Then why aren't you running?" the trainer asked. "What's the matter? You scared that I'm gonna kick your ass?"

"No, I'm not running because my leg is bad," Lucas said, showing his bandages soaked in dried blood to him. The trainer didn't seem bothered.

"Whatever," he said. "Your Magnemite is going down!"

"Seriously, dude!" Lucas said. "I don't have time!"

"Then I'll make it quick," the trainer said with a smirk.

"Cocky prick..." Lucas mumbled under his breath. "Okay, fine. Magnemite, get in there."

Magnemite nodded, prepping itself for battle.

With a smirk, the trainer sent out a Psyduck, and Rotom came out to analyze it right on cue.