Chapter 13

Earth - Year 3204
Northern academy

The meditation session
Blaze:
I have no idea what to expect from this to be honest. I mean, never have I let anyone inside my head when reminiscing my sister's death, let alone letting anyone inside my head at all. I'm only doing this for one reason, and it has all to do with the fact that he doesn't strike me as brainwashed as the other Seniors I've been in contact with before. He didn't really force his way into my head, he gave me more of a choice, meaning he actually has a certain amount of respect for me. But it still doesn't change the fact that I don't know what's going to happen here.

"Okay, now you close your eyes and go back to that day. You will simply be watching what's happening all over again. You won't be able to affect anything because we're just visiting a memory, but we will both be able to watch it all happen. I need you to tell me what's going on inside your head." He says before he places his fingers on each side of my temples. I close my eyes after a while. I hear my heart pounding slightly inside my chest as I close my eyes and my mind goes back to that session. My mind doesn't like wandering back to that, but right now, I'm forcing it to.

** [Flashback] **
"Okay, now tell me the setting here..." He asks me as I feel like I'm opening my eyes again and I find myself back in that dual-session where I last saw my sister. She's just taken her position. I sense the Senior is looking at me, the 'me' from this memory. I try to recall the events that took place in the right order. "My sister has just gotten ready for the dual. I've asked the Senior over there to keep an eye on her because I know she hasn't been doing well...he promises me that he will, but he doesn't do it!" I say as I can sense my anger scratch the surface. "Calm down, Blaze, we're not there yet. One thing at the time: Sitting on that bench, what are you thinking?"

I try to recollect my thoughts from that day. "I keep thinking that she isn't doing well...she doesn't look well." I say looking at her stature. My Senior looks over at her as well. Standing right next to me he seems to capture the same thing that I do. "You're right about that..." He lets out as the dual starts with the wind-elemental attacking her first with a portion of gust. I remember how I tensed when she blocked way slower that then I knew she could've. The Senior is looking over at 'me in the memory' and for the first time I actually notice that I clenched my hands against the bench. I really was tensed. "What were you thinking there?" He asks me after a while.

"She's slow...she's way too slow compared to normal. Something is wrong, it's right in front of their damn eyes, they have to see that!" I say I look at the Seniors watching and assessing the two in action. Looking at the one I spoke to, he doesn't even flinch when the brutality of the dual picks up speed. My heart is pumping hard in anger when I see that he completely ignores the fact that she can't get her element into full-force. My fists clench hard as my Senior looks down on the real me for a moment. "What do you feel?" He asks.

Looking back on the other Senior from the memory, I can see that he acts really cool...as if something is going according to a plan. I notice the same thing about the other Seniors. "Something is terribly off. The way the Senior is observing this...it's like this is all calculated according to a plan. He could've stopped the match, but instead he lets it go on." I don't even notice before now that I've opened a flame inside my hands. My flame grows even bigger when I watch this all in repeat: how my sister becomes clueless because none of her attacks have the normal effect. Looking closely I can see sweat running down her neck. She's already in way over her head with something wrong inside her body.

My Senior seems to notice the same standing next to me. "She's sick...that kind of sweat with all the wind whirling around her isn't normal. She's got a fever of some sort, but you are right about one thing: the Seniors are ignoring it..." He says. I see my sister pull up the sandstorm and in the memory, I'm panicking. Watching this all over again I feel like I'm getting short of breath as I sense my Senior's hand on my shoulder. "You need to calm yourself down, Blaze. You need to put out the flame in your hands or we'll both burn up." He says. I look down and I realize I've done it yet again.