Dog

Rose p.o.v.

The cafeteria was already starting to fill quickly with all 100 of us — Voices of people shouting and talking rung through the large metal building.

People had trays of what looked like: chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and a small roll of bread.

I immediately found Louise's small frame by the auburn curls that bounced as her head snapped up when she saw me coming. She turned her body and pulled her little legs from the table and crushed her arms around my waist.

I already felt her presence calming me, from the earlier panic. She released her grip on my body and stared up at me with innocent green eyes. "Rose, I'm so happy you're back! I missed you!"

I smiled warmly down at her at patted her head. "I missed you too, munchkin."

She shook her bouncy ringlets and giggled, "Let's go eat." She pulled me by the hand over to the lunch line, where few people stood to get their lunches, didn't think I'd be back here any time soon.

As we got into the line, my brows drew together, realizing that if my memories were really gone, how could I have remembered I've been in a lunchroom before? I was starting to doubt what they were telling us. But God knows I wasn't getting answers any time soon.

I was pulled from my suspicious thoughts when the lunch lady handed me my food tray. I attempted to smile at her in thanks, but she didn't return it and looked back down, avoiding my gratitude.

My brow twitched in irritation. I was only trying to thank her.

My food tray had variations of meats and vegetables: broccoli flank steak, green beans, roast beef, and carrots along with water and a dry bread roll, which everyone else received too.

When we found a table, we sunk into the cold metal seats. Around us sat a mix between girls and boys, one being the guy from earlier whom the General threatened.

My eyes trailed to his neck where blue and black bruises wrapped around his throat, that must be painful...

"What are you looking at, dog?" He caught my gaze and glared hard at me.

Did he just call me a dog? "Dog?" Was my reply as I raised my brow.

He scoffed, "You heard me, dog. I've seen people like you, but I had to pay admission."

My humorous side wanted to laugh at the insult, but my more prideful side would not allow it. I narrowed my eyes around his bruised throat, "No wonder you got that, your brain doesn't know which orifice to spew shit from. I can see it's confused again."

I still had no idea what he said, but by the Generals actions and this brats reaction told me I pretty much hit the nail on the head.

He made an ugly frown, snorted, and leaned into my face. "You better watch your mouth dog."

I returned his menacing glare and challenged him. I was about to reply when I heard Louise sniffle and felt her small hand pull on my shirt. My face turned soft and I looked at her, guilt swirling in my chest. She had tears in her eyes, as she looked between the snob whom I still didn't know the name of, and me.

"I'm sorry, Louise." I sunk back into my seat and looked over to the brat who was looking at Louise with a sad look on his face.

"I'm sorry." My eyes almost popped out of my head at the sound of his apology.

"What?" I watched as he to set back down and glared at me.

"I'm not repeating it, and I'm only saying it for her," He snapped and nodded his head toward Louise.