Artificial Destiny

Orion's P.O.V~

The pain in my chest was still unmistakably there but now was a sharp ache. Only an hour had passed since it started, and I knew it would be there for a very long time, if not forever.

We called pack members who were in the police force to see if they had gotten her call, and they had confirmed it when they said they had gotten a report of a river accident and a young female had fallen in, no one has seen her since. Presumed to be deceased.

Once I heard where she was, Levi had to drag me out of the packhouse, because I could barely move from the pain I was in. My breathing came out in short, strained pants. I closed my eyes tightly, they still burned from more unshed tears.

It's not fair. Why did she have to leave me so soon? By heart convulsed into another wave of pain.

We had gotten into the car to drive to the bridge where the accident was, the entire time my mind was in constant turmoil. All the things we were supposed to do together...gone..forever.

There was a light tap on my shoulder, "Hey, we're here."

I slowly opened my eyes, dreading at what I knew what I would find If I got out of this car.

Though I knew I would regret it later if I stayed inside. Begrudgingly, I unclicked the door handle and slowly exited.

Three police cars and an ambulance were crowding the small lot, red and blue lights flashing like fireworks.

My long black coat flowed behind me as all my senses became clogged as I walked down the trail. The trees blurred, only the light was present, and every sound was completely drowned out by the rapid thumping of my heart.

 The world slowed down as I approached the bridge, police officers questioning Mrs. Abel, and the Webblers. My gaze narrowed at the couple, suspicion rising, under the circumstances of our previous deal, that they had declined.

My eyes shifted to Rose's disheveled aunt, She was rumbling frantically about how she had gone off to the other side of the bridge, and when she came back, Rose was suddenly in the water. I slowly crept over to the madwoman.

"I-I saw her wh-when sh-she-" She rambled in between sobs.

I bent over her and placed my hand on her shaking form. "What did you see?" I used my power of empathy to calm her enough to help her tell me what I needed to know. She looked up into my face with teary red eyes.

It's so unfair, the one who needs to forget pain is me, and I can't simply make myself forget as I can with them.

 The tension left her body in small waves, her breathing calmed down, but her tears were still steadily falling. She took in air, "I-I saw her when she... hit her head..." She pointed a shaking finger over to the broken railing, my gaze following when she pointed further downstream.

All the color and life drained from my being when my eyes fell on the sizable blood spatter left on the front of a broad rock. The blood that had made steady trails down the side being washed away from the granite. 

The strong smell of copper started to fill my nose, as all I could do was stand there and stare. 

My mate...is... dead.

I can no longer feel her. I will never see her again.

My breath started coming out in deep exhales. Anger burst through every pour, extreme grief spilling through the chasm that was my chest.

Levi turned me around to face him, one look at my bright golden eyes and he knew my wolf was seconds away from killing every single person there. He grabbed my arm hurridly dragging me into woods on the other side of the bridge.