Chapter 3

"Are you sure you don't need to see a doctor about those ribs?"

I jump, turning quickly causing a flare of pain along my side.

"Jesus... You scared me." I sighed, June ignored me and I turned back to analysing the deepening bruise over my ribs, tender to touch.

Except I smile, the return hit I gave directly after in the sparring match the night previous was worth this ache.

It was satisfying, the pain which maybe that makes me weird?

I shake my head at her, a coy smile to my lips. "And no. It's not bad, June. It's just a little bit of colour to my dull morning."

"If you could make your nights a little more dull, that would make my life a whole lot less stressful." I look at her in the mirror, pulling my hoodie over my head. She's crossed her arms over her chest and is leaning against the doorway.

I enjoyed more difficult fights, and last night was one.

And I won.

So this bruise was like a trophy but I wouldn't tell June that, she'd think I was weird.

"You need to be more careful at these training sessions. They aren't meant to resemble illegal fight rings." I laugh at that, moving away from the mirror and fumbling through my bag at my small desk. Switching in some of my school books into my backpack before zipping it up.

"Now June, don't tempt me. Every time you bring up illegal fight rings, it gets my fingers tingling." She cocks her head and raises an eyebrow.

"That was a joke." I add and she rolls her eyes.

"I'm aware, Ella. I just never know if you're completely joking when you say that." I sling the backpack over my shoulder, snorting quietly to myself.

Because in all honesty, the thought sounded fun.

But I don't tell her that either.

"Well then I guess you'll never know."

"How reassuring." She says dryly, moving out the way as I bypass her into the hallway.

"You know why I worry; you seem to have an addiction to throwing yourself into danger. You have one body girl, and you want to wreck it when it's in its infancy?"

My eyes roll on instinct, ignoring her.

Waving my hand in dismissal, and continuing on along the hallway, knocking on the kid's doors as I pass them, shouting them to hurry up.

I could hear her following behind me as I made my way downstairs, swinging around to head to the kitchen.

It isn't until I pass through the doorway, dropping my bag to the side of one of the chairs that she says anything more.

"Have you given any more thought as to what you're going to apply for?" My hands grabbed at the cupboard handle, swinging it open and grabbing seven bowls before placing them on the table. I grit my teeth quietly; I didn't want to have this discussion again for the millionth time.

She repeats it again when I don't respond.

"I don't know." I mumble in response.

June walks past me to the fridge, pulling out the milk, her hair showing one or two more grey hairs.

"You do know you only have till January to apply? You've already missed the Oxbridge and medical deadline." My head shook, leaning up to grab the numerous cereal boxes from the shelf.

"What a shame." My sarcasm dripped from each word. Dropping the boxes onto the table and I look up at her, readjusting the last one. I pause, I know she won't go for it, but I still say it anyway. "I don't know, I could have a gap year?"