Chapter 28

Four days of getting nowhere.

Four days since we started going through the laptop and documents Fallen had swiped all those years ago.

Nothing.

I leant forward, the sting of the scalding water making me hiss before I readjusted the temperature. My knee had improved a lot even if it were still heavily bruised, the swelling had pretty much gone and I could walk on it.

I couldn't see the stab wound but according to Fallen yesterday it was doing better. He said he could see it healing more now.

The entire atmosphere of the cottage has been tense to say the least, Lucas only just got his handcuffs off yesterday and along with it the threat of getting shot.

I could have stayed under this hot water all day, just to avoid the tension outside of this bathroom. But Lucas needed a shower just as much as me now, and I didn't want to make it anymore awkward between the two of us when I told him I took all the hot water.

I rubbed the soap over my entire body, taking in the darkened skin from when I tumbled down the hill. The sweat and dirt mixed in with the water as it ran down my legs into the shower basin.

Once I had washed my hair, biting my lip when I stretched my rib, I switched off the water and stepped out. The whole entire room steamed up and humid, having to wipe away the condensation from the small mirror above the sink.

I really don't want to go back out there, it's too uncomfortable. It all feels endless as well, and it's not exactly the best feeling to consider it possibly lasting forever.

Knowing that Fallen and Lucas waited out in the living room and that Lucas was in desperate need of a wash too, I hurried up. Quickly changing into some more of Fallen's clothes.

I opened the door, stepping out into the hallway and catching sight of the fire going again. It had dropped in temperature again, the heavy frost this morning clung to the windows as I remember the white tint to the glass.

I tugged the jumper closer to my body when I walked into the living area, both their heads lifting up and noting I had finished in the shower.

"Your turn." Lucas nodded at me, dropping the paper in his hands back down to the floor before glancing over at Fallen.

He gave him a tilt of the head to where I was and that seemed like enough allowance for Lucas to stand up and head out.

His shoulder carefully brushed mine and even though I felt the thrumming in my lower belly he didn't pay me any mind and continued on like it never happened.

I unclenched my fists that I didn't even realise I'd done before walking the rest of the way to the sofa and sitting down.

Drawing my bare feet up onto the sofa, knee aching a little but bearable enough to ignore it.

"We're getting nowhere." I turned to Fallen, his fingers rubbing his forehead back and forth to ease the apparent headache.

"At least we're trying." I mumble.

I was leafing through one of the papers, something about their accounts and stuff. And yet nothing seemed out of the ordinary, just basic things going in and out like rent and food leading up to their deaths.

I think my words sounded a little off, like I was insinuating something because I could see Fallen shuffle on his side of the sofa, lifting up his right leg up to look at me more head on.

"You have to know how difficult it was leaving you behind."

"Really?" I said dubiously.

"Do you not remember that phone call? I knew I should have destroyed it immediately, but I was hoping you'd call." I shake my head, refusing to look up at him.