Chapter 12

The knock on the door got me up from my seat on the sofa, quickly slipping on my shoes before standing up.

"I've got it!" I shouted down the hallway, preventing June from rushing to the door and embarrassing me.

I swung the door open and there was Gale, towering above me in his black leather jacket and jeans.

His light brown hair messy, pieces of hair falling into his eyes.

"Hey. You good to go?" He glanced at his phone, finishing off reading a text before he looked back up at me.

"Uh, yeah." He pockets his phone and I look back at June who eyed us suspiciously from the kitchen door, shouting about getting home before 11pm.

She'd never met Gale, so I was surprised that she didn't come rushing over to interrogate him, but she didn't and I closed the door to the house effectively blocking her from view.

I tugged my brown jacket closer to my body as we walked to his car, trying not to think about the already awkward atmosphere.

It's probably just because I'm not used to hanging out with other people, I'm not saying I'm a recluse or anything but there's two people I have hung out with before.

Jessica and Lucas.

Why did I agree to this again?

We slid into the car, my hands immediately finding the heater as he turned the car on.

He laughed a little as he saw me with my hands practically covering the aircon, "Don't blame you, It's bloody freezing tonight." I chuckled in response, agreeing with him.

"What do you want to do for food? We've got a bit of time before it starts so it's up to you really?"

I hated making choices about food, how was I supposed to know what he liked as well?

I know what Lucas likes, he's not difficult. He's a walking bin, he'll eat anything... but what if Gale is a fussy eater?

I swear if this turns into a continued cycle of me suggesting stuff and him turning it down, I will get out of the car.

"I don't know? I guess Waterways does a good burger and we could always get some sweets or something from the shop near the cinema?"

I thought it was a good plan, not to brag or anything and thankfully so did Gale because he tapped his hand on the steering wheel nodding.

"I love Waterway's burger. They've got so many options now."

"I know, did you see they have a mushroom burger now?"

"A mushroom burger? How is that a burger?" He said, a frown on his face as he turned a corner.

"Don't shun it till you've tried it, me and Lucas had one and it will surprise you!"

"Right. You know what, I think I'll just take your word for it."

"Your loss, I think you'd enjoy it."

"Really, and how would you know that?"

I shrugged, "I don't know, I just think it was really good."

I thought in the back of my head he might start joking around with me but he doesn't, he quietens down and clears his throat.

The drive turns quiet until we reach waterways, and the more I sat in the uncomfortable silence, the more I wished the movie started an hour earlier than it did.

We got our food; I got the mushroom burger if only to prove a point. I slid myself into the seat in the corner by the window, there wasn't much seating in here. It was definitely more of a takeaway but there were still a scattering of seats and tables for around 10 people to sit down.