Chapter 9

I sat on my bed, brushing out my hair carefully through my fingers. Rearranging it around my face, trying desperately to tame the curls.

My phone buzzed on my bedside table, I leaned over, seeing it was from Lucas.

You ready?

I stood up, poking my head out of my window overlooking the drive. Texting him a quick yes as I saw him sitting in the car.

A moment later he opened the car door and made his way to the front door.

I checked myself in the mirror, smoothing out the dark green dress. Pulling on the full-length sleeves so they stretched over my wrists further. I breathed out a heavy sigh, preparing myself.

This was going to be harder than I thought, after yesterday, things were going to be different and I wasn't exactly sure how I felt about that right now.

All I know is that I couldn't sleep last night thinking over everything, probably too much in all honesty.

Finally, I nodded firmly to myself as if that alone would summon the courage. It was easy to stretch my lips into some form of a smile, a happy one. That was easy to replicate, it's all about the eyes, I think a lot of people forget that bit.

I swinging my handbag strap over one shoulder when I heard June shouting from downstairs.

"Ella! Lucas is here."

I walked out of my room after throwing my phone in my bag and headed down the stairs.

He paused his conversation with June as I reached the bottom of the steps. Staring at me from top to bottom, before breaking out into that gorgeous smile of his.

"You look beautiful Ella." He spoke in a quieter voice as he stared right at me. My head dropped momentarily, hiding the actual smile that I couldn't help but stretch my cheeks.

"It's a special day for Mitch. I thought I should make an effort?" I mockingly circled, arms wide showing off the swirl of the dress.

"You certainly did."

"Okay weirdo." I snorted trying to hide the discomfort from his continued gaze, his arm circled around my waist and squeezed me just slightly.

"Alright, you two. Lucas, have her home before midnight please."

"Not a problem." He smiled at June, leading me out as I waved to her.

"You know what I really like about this dress?" The door shut behind us as we walked to his car, he turned his head to me quizzically.

"It has POCKETS!" He laughed at me, throwing open the car door leaning on the top of it as he raised an eyebrow.

"So the handbag's use this evening?" I opened my handbag to show my phone, lip balm and a couple of other miscellaneous objects.

"The pockets can't hold anything substantial." His eyebrows scrunched in confusion.

"There use then?" I leaned forward, hands resting on his shoulders. Tugging at him slightly, making him break out in a small half-smile.

"One-word Lucas. POCKETS."

"That doesn't make sense."

"You're a guy, of course, it doesn't. You men have pockets on everything, it's a rare occurrence that an outfit has pockets for women's clothes."

"Uh-huh"

"Do you know how infuriating that is?" I push harder against his chest but he just releases that dimple all over again.