Chapter 6

Thomas was no better.

I didn't expect him to be in all fairness, it only sucks more because I know I'm primarily responsible for it this time.

June didn't even need to say anything to me last night, I think she knew I'd gotten the message.

It didn't mean it wasn't awkward.

Although on the plus side I got a lot of schoolwork done, if only as some form of an excuse to leave them in the kitchen whilst I isolated in my room away from any further tension.

I wasn't about to remind June of my mistakes, let alone give her the time to really lecture me on it.

She caught me looking at Thomas across the table, dropping my head down to my arm where her hand squeezed gently.

I glanced up to her, a brief tight grimace on her face before continuing to the sink with some plates. The small giggles around the wood-topped breakfast table increased in volume, their smiling evident whilst they chatted between mouthfuls of cereal or toast.

They all look up when a loud buzzing erupted from my jacket.

"Who's that?" The voices of the kids teasing me reverberated through the kitchen with June turning her head towards me as well.

I rolled my eyes at them all before grabbing my phone from my pocket.

"None of your beeswax." I huff at them, earning a few grumbles in response.

I stood up from my seat, walking out of the kitchen into the hallway away from all the nosy onlookers as I held it up to my ear.

"Hey."

"Morning Ells." I jogged up the stairs with the phone pressed up against my ear.

"Ella, don't be too long. You need to leave in 5!" June shouted up the stairs before I heard her footsteps fade again.

"Okay!" I pushed my bedroom door open before jumping onto my bed.

"Sorry about that. So what did you want?" I could hear shuffling going over the phone before his voice came through.

"Yeah, I was just thinking about the training schedule. Did you want to come over tonight to go over it? fit it into that busy life of yours?" He says with sarcasm and I roll my eyes.

"Ah, yes. I might just be able to squeeze some training in amongst my busy social calendar."

"I assumed so." I snort quietly to myself, "So, my place?"

"Definitely." Nodding to him over the phone as if he could see me.

"We can start off with some wind sprints tonight as well."

"Of course, you'd start us off with wind sprints. Although, I'm just happy you're actually going to help me." I chuckled, pushing my hair back out of my face as I stood up, moving over to my desk.

"I know I didn't want you doing it initially but come on, you got a concussion last time. Can't blame me for being nervous about it." I snorted, pushing the phone between my shoulder and ear as I started piling my schoolwork and textbooks into my backpack.

"Lucas. Come on. I enjoy it." It was quiet for a moment whilst I finished with the bag, zipping it up.

"What? fighting or getting beat?" I laughed, grabbing the phone in my hand whilst swinging the backpack over my shoulder.

"Shut up asshole." His own laughter filled my ear as I shook my head.

"Whatever, what time are you finishing up at the gym today? Do you want me to just go straight to yours after school?" I started walking out of my room shutting the door behind me.