chapter two

BETH

I woke up to my phone blasting Trumpets by Jason Derulo.

"Every time that you get undressed, I hear symphonies in my head. I wrote this song just, looking at you oh, oh oh. Yeah the drums they swing low, and the trumpets they go."

I swung my hand forcefully, but lazily over and hit 'off'.

I picked my phone up and scrolled through my Instagram feed, subconsciously liking everything that showed up.

After I scrolled to the bottom of my feed, which took about ten minutes, I sat up. I looked at my new clock, on my new nightstand, in my new bed, in my new room, in my new house. I moved recently and I liked the new house, but change was hard. I grew up in my old house so it was going to take some time for me to get used to this place. It was 5:13 a.m. and I had to get up. I was totally not used to getting up super early. I walked to my bathroom and turned the water on.

After I had gotten out of the shower, I walked over to my wardrobe. I pushed most of my clothing aside, because most of my wardrobe consists of skinny jeans, rompers, and shorts. I could dance in most of the shirts I owned, so that wasn't hard. I ended up grabbing a loose tank top with pink and blue stripes, and a pair of short black leggings. I threw my hair up into a bun that wouldn't come out, and I grabbed my jacket and off I went.

*************

When I arrived at the studio, I got out of my car and walked to the door. Once I opened the thick door, I made eye contact with Derek. I was really happy he was my partner, oh my gosh I really want to win. We've been doing well so far, and last night we performed our Tango, which I honestly did not like performing. My favorite dance so far has been the hip hop dance, which really fit my style to be honest. This week we are doing the salsa, and its extremely hard in the footwork, but the arms and posture aren't very hard for me.

Derek took my hands and put them in the right position, before he showed me the next 8 count.

"Okay, so Beth, you're gonna put your hands right there, and now the first thing we're going to do is easy, see."

He took his right foot and put it in front of his left foot, then took his left foot and put it back, then shuffled his feet side to side once. It sounds complicated but it's really not.

He took hold of my hands again an repositioned them, then started making small adjustments to my posture and other things. There were cameras recording us and he got extremely close to my boobs, and I really hope nobody caught that.

**************

At about 8:30 p.m. the people with cameras left and Derek and I were tired. We went out for lunch because he felt bad for making me work all day. I tried to pay for it but he insisted. We were sitting down in the corner of the studio. The light purple wall was cold against my skin. I was basking in the silence. This silence was the good kind, the kind that leads to you replaying your first kiss, and making it perfect, the kind of silence that lets you re-evaluate the meaning of life, and this is the silence where people fall in love, and this is the best kind of silence.

"Bethany, uh...uhm," Derek started scratching his neck.

"Do you uh, have a boyfriend?" he asked me.

"No. Why?" I reply back nonchalantly, even though that question meant so much to me.

"Just wondering. So, practice tomorrow?" He fired another question at me.

I pouted slightly. "We're done? I thought we would rehearse unt..."

Derek gently placed his strong hand on my upper cheek and caressed my face.

"You're really pretty..." He whispered softly.

"I..." I was still speechless.

He hesitantly said, "Promise that you will pretend this never happened, alright?"

I nodded, unsure if he was either going to kiss me, or rape me.

He leaned in slightly, scooting in closer with each inch he came forward. I halfway closed my eyes, becoming aware of the situation. He did the same. Thoughts flashed through my mind such as, Did my breath smell? Was I breathing too hard through my mouth? What if he thought I was a horrible kisser? Will this effect our dancing?

All of these thoughts went away as our lips connected. His lips were soft and warm, and it was a really nice feeling, all of it. The way that his lips were slightly chapped, but not enough to make it uncomfortable, and the only sound in the room was our breathing, and the way his stubble felt on my cheek...it was all just amazing.

He pulled away with his hand still on my face. I stared into his eyes and I realized something.

This can't be happening, he's like 29 and I'm just 18! This is barely legal! if I had just been born a year later this would be considered rape. I stood up and grabbed my purse.

"I have to go. I'll be here tomorrow at 6:00, uh. Bye."

He stood up and hugged me, and liking the warmth, I hugged back. When he pulled away he was still holding my arms, an he leaned in to kiss my forehead. The contact made me shiver. I liked the feeling, so I was disappointed when the contact broke. I wiggled out of his grasp, and bolted out the door.

This was not supposed to happen.

*****************

Authors note:

Hey. It's me.

Wazzup. Sorry I posted a little later than I planned, but I kinda got in a fight with my mom so I was a bit distracted.

~Mackenzie