Chapter nine- Truth be Told

"You?" I said dumbfounded. "You're the one who kidnapped me?" He chuckles and grabs me by my wrists dragging me around the fence and back towards the house. I try to wiggle out of his grip but he tightens his hold. "Come on" he yells and pulls causing me to shriek in pain. "Why now? Why after two years, you decide to do this now?" I demand to which he ignored.

"Now listen here. I don't know where you came from and trust me I have checked every database in the world and I cannot find an Ember Winters. But since day one you raised suspicion, How ever you passed my test." He says with a flat tone. I stop moving and stare at him. "What test? Why are you even testing me and what do you mean I raised suspicion?" I say all the questions I am thinking.

"I do the asking, and you speak when you are told." He says disregarding my questions and pushing me to keep walking. I chuckle and break free of his grasp. "I can walk on my own thank you very much, and I speak when I want to." I spit. He inhales deeply but says silent. Once we get inside the house he gestures for me to sit on the couch, while he walks to the other side of the living room and pulls out two glasses and pours what looks like whisky. He places two cups on the table one directly in front of me and the other on his side. I look at him and take his cup and drink from there. "Forgive me if I don't trust you." I say sarcastically when he made a face at me. "Now can you please explain what you meant?"

He sighs and grabs the other cup. He downs the drink and grabs my cup from me. "I can't give you much information, but here is what I can tell you. I didn't kidnap you, I sent the order. You don't need to worry about the kidnapper right now, Just know that I am a man of my word, and I give you my word that you will remain safe with me ONLY if you agree to these terms." he says. I look at him and say "I can protect myself, you know that very well. But what do you want with me? Why did you send someone to kidnap me?" I say utterly fed up with the secrets. "I sent for you because I believe you can be a great asset to my team." He says signalling for one of his men to come over. He hands him a black folder and a gold pen. "What team? Why do you think I would be a good fit for this so called team? And I don't follow rules I make them." I say sternly.

He shakes his head. "Well now you follow them, show me your loyalty and maybe you won't have to follow the rules." He says. "Now first order of business I need you to sign this and I need to know you real name." He says. "I don't know what you are talking about my name is Ember Winters. And I am not signing anything without knowing what it is first." I say looking at him dumbfounded. He slams his fist on the mahogany table. "You think I am an idiot? I told you that I looked for you and there is no record of an Ember Winters, No births in the last 6 decades, and no deaths either. Ember Winters does not exist." He screams. "There is no way you lived your whole life under the radar and are so rich. I looked under rocks and atop the highest clouds there is not a trace." He sighs. I laugh bitterly. "You wanna do business with me? Then let's do business. My name is of no importance, but here is what is going to happen. I will not work for you, I will work with you as partners. I am not dumb I knew since the first day I saw you what kind of business it is that you do."

He snickers but there is a bit of hesitation. After a brief moment he stand up and offers me his hand, "Partners."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note:

Who do you think he is and what kind of business does he do?