one - the theatre

It all started with that wink.

Me and my best friend Jamia were obsessive fans of DC Comics, and after learning that they were actually making a suicide squad movie, we agreed that we had to see it, especially because Jamia's celebrity crush was Jared Leto, and she just had to see every movie he was in, even if it was bad. So, there we were, waiting in line to get into the theatre with our tickets in hand when that boy glanced back at me.

I'd been staring at his arse for a few seconds until I felt Jamia shove me to the side. I looked up at her expectantly and she just smirked.

"It's not nice to stare, Gaylord."

It was then that the boy turned around, gave me a once over, smirked and then fucking winked and walked his cute little arse into the movie theatre that I was headed into as well, talking excitedly about something to his friend before walked in with her.

They stood close to each other, so when I looked down and saw that they weren't holding hands, I felt my heart lift a bit. It didn't mean anything, they could still be dating, but I kind of doubted it. The way he'd looked at me wasn't straight at all. I turned to Jamia and widened my eyes at her.

"Did you just see that?" I whispered as we walked behind them from farther away.

She grinned at me and shrugged. "You've gotta ask him what that was for after the movie."

"No way," I shook my head, but she prodded my arm.

"Please, Frank? You haven't had a boyfriend since... him, and I can tell you're in love with that boy, your eyes are truly windows, my friend," she looked at me guiltily as we walked up a few more steps and found our row.

"Love is a strong word, Mia," I said, meaning something more along the lines of 'I'll think about it.' "Besides, someone that good-looking has to be taken."

I glanced up at the seat numbers and then saw the boy sitting in the seat right next to mine. I glanced at Jamia as I sat down and she smirked, pulling out her phone while the theatre was still dimly lit and the previews hadn't started yet. This reminded me to turn my own phone off, and just as I'd finished doing so, I felt eyes on me, and I turned to see the boy next to me turn his head away quickly. I turned away as well and caught myself blushing.

No, no, no, this wasn't good. I mean, well, yes, it was, but not for me. I hadn't had feelings like this for someone in a while and I didn't even know this boy. For all I knew he was just going to use me too. All he knew about me was that I was attractive—at least to him—and that wasn't much to go by.

I wasn't really keen on being used and heartbroken again, so I just pressed my hand on my cheek, leaning towards Jamia.

The previews were loud, so she turned to me, raising her eyebrows. "So?"

"So what?" I whispered, glancing over my shoulder to see the boy talking with his friend as well. "He's cute, and I'm scared of repeats. I don't... I'm scared, Mia."

"Don't be. You need this. This is a part of recovery, Frank."

She was right. I knew she was. I leant back in my seat and tried to steal a look at the boy, but his eyes caught mine as soon as I did so.

"Hey," he whispered, and I felt Jamia shift away from me. "I'm Gerard."

I smiled. "I'm Frank."

"It's nice to meet you, cutie," he grinned, pushing a strand of black hair behind an ear. I felt my face turn redder. Thank god theatres were so dim.

"I—you too," I said, smiling a little as he shook my hand.

"I wanna get to know you," he whispered with a smile. "I hope your pretty face matches your personality."