Chapter 17: New Life

I am currently nine months pregnant. My little boy is due any day.

Right now I'm sitting on the couch with an exhausted Alfred who just got home from a stressful meeting with his boss.

"Do you want to go to bed?" I ask, turning to Alfred.

"No." He answers a little coldly.

"Alfie, you need some rest. Here I'll-

"I said no!" Alfred yells making me flinch. I shut up and turn to the tv.

A pissed off Alfred and I don't talk for a while. All of a sudden I feel a sharp pain in my lower abdomen. I hold my stomach and groan in pain.

"Hey, Natalia? You okay?" Alfred asks, finally noticing me.

"I'm fine." I say after the pain stops. I don't know if that was a contraction or a kick. I decide to just let it go.

Ten minutes later I feel another one. Yeah, it's time to go.

"Alfred, I think thee baby is coming." I say. His eyes widen.

"Are you sure?" Alfred asks.

"Yes, I'm sure. Now come on, I've already felt two contractions." I say.

"W-Well aren't you supposed to wait until they're like two minutes apart?" Alfred asks. Now I am getting irritated.

"I don't care! You are getting me to a hospital now. I'm not giving birth in here or in a car. Now get your ass up and help me out!" I yell.

After Alfred packs a bag and gets me in the car, we are heading to the hospital.

I feel another contraction six minutes after my second one. I grab the handle above the door and start taking deep breaths.

"Alfred...Do you.." I groan. "...Think you could...Drive faster?" I ask.

"Babe I'm trying to get there as fast as I can without getting pulled over!" Alfred exclaims but goes a little faster anyway.

Soon enough there are red and blue lights flashing behind us. I nearly scream in agony and frustration. Alfred pulls over.

A cop walks over oh so slowly to our car. Alfred grips the steering wheel tighter. I can tell he is angry as he rolls down the window.

The officer gets to Alfred's window and waves his flash light around.

"Can you explain why you're going so fast-Whoa!" The officer exclaims. He notices me. "You okay, hon?" He asks me. I nod.

"Doing the best I can." I tell him and give a pained smile.

"You guys headed to Alta Bates or Kaiser?"

"Kaiser." Alfred answers.

"We'll just slow down a bit, alright?" The officer then turns to me. "You hang in there." I nod. The cop walls back to his car then drives away. Alfred stays driving again.

"I wasn't even going over the speed limit! I was going like 45!" Alfred yells.

"I know. But he didn't know I was-" I stop talking and scream as another contraction hits me, this one is the strongest. I start taking deep breaths but try not to hyperventilate.

"Natalia, baby you okay?" Alfred asks, a worried expression on his face.

"Do I look okay!" I yell and grab Alfred's hand, squeezing very tight. "Just..Focus on driving." I tell him.

"How can I focus? You're my wife and it's kinda hard to concentrate when you're in so much pain." Alfred says. I glare at him and he sighs. "Just hang in there a bit okay? We'll be in the hospital and that baby will be out of you before you know it." He reassures me. I smile a little bit.

"Okay. But if you want to get me to the hospital I suggest you drive just a little faster."

Alfred and I finally arrive to the hospital. We've been here for eight hours and the sun has started rising a little. I am still not fully dilated yet so I can't start pushing yet. I have been having contractions and when they go away I sleep for a while. When they come back I'm yelling and screaming while Alfred tries to calm me down.

"Nurse, how is she?" The doctor asks. Thankfully it's Alyssa so I feel a little better.

"I think she's fully dilated now." The nurse answers. I continue to breath deeply. Alyssa leans down in front of my legs.

"Yep she's ready. Okay Mrs. Jones, are you ready to push?" She asks.

"I...I think so." I sign out and grab Alfred's hand. He leans forward and kisses my forehead.

"You got this, babe." He tells me. I smile a little.

"Okay push on three. One....Two...Three!" Alyssa orders. I start pushing as hard as I can, only wanting to get the baby out quickly and safely.

Ten more minutes of pushing, screaming, and cursing Alfred and finally.

"Okay Mrs. Jones. One more push." Alyssa says. I squeeze Alfred's hand extremely tightly.

"You got this, Natalia." Alfred tells me. I push as hard as I can and finally..After almost nine hours in labor...I hear the most beautiful sound ever.

I lean back, exhausted, and let the nurse leave to clean my baby. My grip on Alfred's hand softens.

"I knew you could do it." Alfred says and kisses my cheek. I smile as he wipes my tears of frustration away.

"Remind me to never have sex without protection with you again." I say. Alfred laughs.

The nurse comes back with a blue bundle in her arms.

"Congratulations, you two. You have a beautiful, healthy baby boy." The nurse hands my baby to me. I gather him in my arms gently.

"Thank you." I tell her. She walks out to give Alfred and I some privacy.

I admire my son. He is beautiful. I see dirty blond tufts of hair coming out of his little beanie. Alfred's hair.

I look up at Alfred. He's admiring our son as well.

"Alfred...He is beautiful." I tell him, looking back down at what we created.

"Yeah." Alfred says and reaches out, brushing a finger lightly across our baby's delicate cheek.

"Hey there, little guy." I start. " I'm your mommy, and this is your daddy. I hope you know we love you so much and we are so happy we can finally see you." I say sweetly and kiss his forehead. His eyes open and I see big bright blue eyes. He has Alfred's eyes.

"Alfred, he looks like you." I look at Alfred. He can't stop smiling.

"What should we name him?" I ask. "And no superhero names." I continue. Alfred starts to speak but I stop him. "And we are not naming our son Alfred Jr. either." Alfred rolls his eyes.

"Fine..Um......How about Tyler?" He asks.

"Alexander?" I suggest.

"Tyler Alexander!" We exclaim in unison. The baby starts to whimper a little.

"Shh, shh. Don't cry." I coo. He silences and closes his eyes. "So..Tyler Alexander?" I ask.

"Tyler Alexander Jones. It has a nice ring to it." Alfred says.

"You want to hold him?" I ask. Alfred nods and I hand Tyler to him.

"Hey, Tyler..." Alfred says. I do not hear the rest because I eventually fall asleep.

I wake up later to find an amazing sight: Alfred still holding Tyler, talking to him. Alfred notices my awakening.

"I love you so much." Alfred says and kisses me.

"I love both of you." I say.

And I do.

I love Tyler.

I love Alfred.

Love.

~END~