5 : downfall

Chapter 5

Choi Hana

It's been three weeks since the accident and I had intentionally come to class late, just to avoid sitting next to him. Surprisingly, he had been sitting at my spot every single time.

"Ms. Choi, meet me after school", Mrs. Lorh announces immediately after the bell ring.

I gradually pack my stuff waiting for the rest of the students to leave. As soon as I stand up, I see him standing a few tables away from me. Staring at me as if he was waiting for me, I duck my head and walk to the door hoping that he will let me go.

"Can we talk?", He urges. I halt, turn toward him, and whisper "Sure."

___

I wake up early in the morning, the birds were chirping and relishing the cool breeze. My old bed cracked every time I move. This is the best morning I have ever had since 5 years ago, I talked to myself.

I started my morning by doing stretches and proceed by taking a bath. "Mom? Dad?", I call them out as I enter the kitchen. I walk to the counter table, pours myself a drink, and eyeing a mysterious letter placed on top of the table. I read the title printed at the center of the envelope 'Confidential'.

Should I?

I looked around the empty kitchen before proceeding to read the envelope contained. These words seem barbaric to me, A rapid decrease in stock marketing, monthly income fell by more than 70%, which led your company to file for bankruptcy.

"Bankruptcy?", I whispered. "Dad's company is facing bankruptcy?"

I instantly placed the letter back inside the envelope, staring at it as thoughts started inundating my mind.

___

"So, you are staying here for a month and a half until your project ends?", Mom asked, trying to connect the dots after I tell her the reason I'm back in Korea.

"That's good. Actually, your mom plans to travel back to New York City this October without telling you ", my father informed while reading the newspaper in his hands.

"How's Hyun Ae?", he swiftly asks, "Her father told me last week that she manages to get to settle down the deal with the European.",

"Yes, she manages to get the approval in a day", I said suddenly losing my appetite to eat.

"Her father must be very proud of her, He just can't stop talking about his daughter", my father continued. I remind silent and just nods my hand in agreement.

It's hard to express it in words, but I know I'm a disappointment in my family. My father had already planned out my future as soon as my mother gives birth to me, which is helping him out on his business however I have decided to study medicine only to end up working as a model.

My mother who may have noticed my sudden change in behavior quickly changed the topic, "Hana, we are going out for a dinner tonight. It will be wonderful if you can tag along",

"Okay", I grinned. "What should I wear?"

"Anything casual", my mother said,

I spend my entire afternoon helping my mother out with her garden and it appears that both of my parents were hiding something from me. The urged to talk about the letter that I read earlier in the morning with them is constraining me.

___

Suho

"Sir, your family just called and they requested you to join them for dinner tonight at Maple Tree House in 20 minutes.", my assistant said through the intercom.