Chapter 1 ⦔ Dutchman's Pipe

The children climbed over the wall separating the pack garden with Mr. Chamber's garden. He always let the kids play in the garden when they wanted to so long as the games weren't violent. Occasionally the man would bring out food or drinks for the kids before going back into the house. He was a good neighbor when he was in the house but he often spent his time in foreign countries working so the children knew just to jump over the fence and not bother knocking on the door of the probably empty house. 

One of the children kicked the ball into the small wooded area in the garden. As he ran into the woods to get it the ball was kicked back. The children froze and they looked towards the fence, planning. A woman walked out from the trees. She had a long flowy dress on with fancy sandals strapped to her feet. 

"May I ask what you are all doing on my property." Smirked the woman as she leaned against a tree, crossing her arms.

"Where is Mr. Chambers?"

"He no longer owns this estate."

"Oh, sorry we will go." The kids ran off without their football leaving their game of soccer to itself. They scaled the wall with extreme speed doing their best to scram out of the strangers garden. 

They heard a wooshing through the air as their ball landed behind them in their garden. A gleeful laugh escaped the women as she kicked it high through the air. It was an impressive kick but the children didn't stop running until the got into their house. 

The woman walked into her house and began to tidy up. The woman had moved through the house with grace smoothly moving her body to the beat of a song that wasn't playing. She made up some lemonade and she began ice some cupcakes she made earlier.

"Some woman is living in Mr. Chamber's house." 

"Yeah, and she said he no longer owns the house."

"She kicked us back our football though." The adults of the pack stared at their children as they shouted out such news after sprinting into the living room puffing. 

"How odd."

"Kate you are a real estate agent. Did the house go up on the market?"

"No of course not I would have told the Alpha to buy it."

"Darryl call the mayor's office and ask them to see who owns it."

"I don't think that is how it works Jack. Someone get the Alpha."

"This is above his pay grade."

 "He played with us in that garden too growing up as far as I remember. He would want to know. Emma darling run and get him." This sent a small girl up running to the Alpha's office. She knocked on the door and pushed the door open.

"Alpha Evert everyone is talking because Mr. Chambers is gone and some woman lives next door now." The Alpha sighed and shut his laptop. He scooped the girl up into his arms and he carried her downstairs.

"Here is what we are going to do. We will be good neighbors and Anton, Mila, Laila, and Leon will go take her a cake. Things change and if she doesn't want our children playing in her garden then we have to respect that."  Ordered the Alpha and everyone looked down. The parents went to text their children and the head chef ran to get that cake ready.

When the woman's doorbell rang she wasn't surprised. She moved a lot and she knew what new neighbors were like. When she opened the door there were four teenagers there holding a very well decorated cake.

"Hi we live next door and we just wanted to give you this cake as a little welcome to the neighborhood gift." 

"Please come in." The four teenagers followed her into the kitchen where she was just finishing off the cupcakes she was making. "Try one if you want. Would any of you like something to drink?" 

The woman got out the large jug of lemonade from her fridge and as the teenagers began to ate and drink they fell in love with the woman's cooking ability.  They talked about the small town the woman had just moved to and somehow throughout the entire conversation, she managed to completely avoid mentioning anything about herself. 

"Sorry Miss but we completely missed your name." Said one of the teens as the woman walked them to the door.

"My name is Adelia, now thank you so much for the cake."

The teenagers walked back to the packhouse preparing what they would have to say to their parents. They knew the whole pack would interrogate them for every little detail of what happened. Each teenager was tempted to take the box of cupcakes to the park and finish them off but they didn't as they were good children.

"So how was it?" Asked one of their parents the second they walked past the living room.

"Good, her name is Adelia she is really nice and she is an amazing cook. Her house is so stunning and she is really pretty."

"Is that it?"

"I don't know what you want to hear Mum."

"Well, what did she say?"

"She just asked questions about what you can do around Swanford."

"She also gave us cupcakes. You should try them they are amazing."

"Go grab a plate and take one to the Alpha."

Laila knocked on the door of the Alpha's office before letting herself in. She carried the perfectly decorated cupcake on a plate that shook in her hand as she laid it on the Alpha's desk.

"We met the neighbor. She was really nice and she gave us a bunch of cupcakes to take home. I brought you one. Her name is Adelia."

"Thank you, Laila." She walked out of the room leaving the Alpha there to try the cupcake on his own. The cupcake was amazing and Alpha Evert had half a mind to march to the house next door and hire her to make a hundred. Instead, he sat at his desk wondering how on earth that woman got to living in Mr. Chamber's house.