Chapter 19

Richard Elias Falderrega

"Now, let's all welcome. Mr. Richard Elias Falderrega. The faithful husband of our beloved Creal." Announce ng emcee.

"Why am I counted in?" I asked the elders.

Papa Teo looked at me. "Why, of course yes, you're my daughter's husband."

"Fine." I stood up. "I'll do it, I guess."

I went up stage. I grabbed the mic from the emcee and smiled bitterly. I took a deep breath before looking at everyone. All of the employees are here and I was nervous. I still don't know what to say about my wife's death.

"Mr. Falderrega?" the emcee whispered.

I lookes at her and give her a thumbs up and smile.

I placed the mic in front of my mouth. "H-Hi. I don't know what to say." I sigh.

"Just say something mister." utos ng emcee sakin.

I nod. "Many years ago when I first met her—Creal Mae Varrielo. She was nine years old way back then. It's her 9th birthday that time." naging garagal ang boses ko. "She was so cold at me that time. She said that it's her first time having a party in the Philippines. She's wearing some kind of dress, not that elegant but that dress made me fall in love. Let's say that we're too young, but that's love. And we cannot do anything about it." nag ngilid ang luha ko. "Now, it's hard for me to accept that she's gone for a very unfair reason. Someone shot her from behind. Until now, I miss her so much. Even though I want her back, I cant because god already took her from me. She was so much happier with us." tumulo ang luha ko. Pinunasan ko ito kaagad nang marinig ko ang ilang hagulhulan ng mga trabahador ni Creal. "Let me tell you all a story. A story about Creal's journey in this life."

--

Creal's 9th Birthday.

"Anak, this is Creal Mae. You can call her Creal." My dad introduced me to someone. She's a beautiful little girl. She's pretty on her dress. She looks so innocent.

I nodded. "Hi! My name is Richard, you can just call me Richie." but she just stared at me.

I can't see any expression from her. It remained stoic for some reason. She's standing next to Tito Teo. I don't even know why they are introducing me to her.

Until she nodded. "Nice to meet you." I was a bit shocked because she had a different accent.

"A-Ahhh. Yes, nice to meet you too." nasabi ko na lang.

She sat on her kuyas lap. "Nicolas, I want to eat something. I'm starving." she said.

Kinuhanan naman ng pagkain ni kuya Nico si Creal. Hindi kumibo si Creal at tulala lang. Hindi parin nabalik si Kuya Nico.

She didn't say 'Kuya'  for formality maybe because she lives in another country. If you get tasked to figure out the difference among five siblings, you can easily find it out. It was Creal.

Naiiba sya sa kanilang lahat, sya lang ang naiiba. Kung silang lahat nakuha nila ang itsura nila kay Tita Ann. Si Creal ay hindi nakakuha kay Tito hindi rin kay Tita. Her beauty is built by itself.

"What are you staring at?" She asked me all of a sudden.

What's wrong with you, Richie?!

I askes myself.

Wala kami sa teritoryo namin, kaya kailangan kong umayos. I didn't know that Tito Teo had another daughter.

"Nothing." patay malisya kong sagot. She just nodded.

"Creal, baby. Here's your food. Eat well." biglang dating ni Kuya Nico.

Creal looked at the food. Her face turned into like she saw something gross. "What's this?" she asked.

Kuya Nico was a bit taken back. "Pork rice. With chicken soup and curry soup as an option." Kuya Nico answered.

"I don't eat this kind of food." she said.

Kuya Nico said, "What do you want, then?" He asked his little sister.

"I want pasta ala gamberreto." she said.

"We don't have that here." Kuya Nico said.

Creal looked at her brother. "But we have that on States. That's my favorite." she said.

An old woman walked towards Creal. "Don't worry, my dear. Grandma will cook for you. You want Pasta Ala Gamberreto?" Creal nodded. "Then I'll cook it for you."

"Can I go with you, mamita?" she smiled widely. A natural smile.

"Oh no, dear. The kitchen is very dirty, mio caro." pagpapaamo ng lola nya.

Creal nodded and smiled once again. Her grandmother smiled at her and walked away to go to the kitchen. When I looked at Creal, her smile faded. Maybe she's just happy with her grandparent.

Until Ate Leen ran towards Creal. She's very excited. Kauuwi nya lang siguro galing Australia with their aunt, hindi ko sya nakikita pamula pa nung huwebes. "Mae, dolcezza!" and then she hug her.

"Psh, don't call me that." suway ni Creal kay Ate Leen matapos nilang magyakap.

Coleen pout. "Yesh." then she sat next to her.

And then Daddy stood to my side. "Son, bakit ka nakakunot ang noo mo?" he asked me. "Something wrong, hijo?"

"Don't worry,dad. I'm getting older so I get confused at things. This is nothing po." I smiled.

He smiled teasingly. "You're just twelve years old. And you're saying that like you're a teenager, do you find Creal beautiful?"

"Huh?"

"Kanina ka pa nakatingin sakanya. Na love at first sight ka na ba, anak?" he asked.

I shooked my head. "She doesn't bother smiling, dad. I can literally compare her to ice." I explained my struggle.

Daddy shooked his head. "Don't say that. And don't blame her for being cold. She grew up in the States, hindi sya sanay dito satin." he said.

I just ignored my father. I waited for half an hour and dad left me. And on that cue, Creal's grandmother entered while holding a tray with food.

"For my cara." nilapag nya sa harap ni Creal ang plate na may pasta na may maraming shrimp. And then she looked at me. "For you, bello." nilapag nya sa harap ko ang isang plate na naglalaman rin ng ganon. I don't know what she called me but that sounds Italian.

"Thank you, mamita." Creal thanked her.

She looked at me. Wala na lang akong nasabi kundi ang mag thank you rin.

And then she left us. Kami lang ni Creal ang natira sa table.

"Eat it. It's good, there's no poison in the pasta, Richie." malamig na sabi nya.

Napilitan akong sumubo. "Mmm masarap." I commented.

She looked at me, confused. "Huh? What did you say?" she asked and then ate.

"I said, it's delicious." I said and smiled.

She nod. "There's no interesting things about this day."

"Why would you say that? It's your birthday."

She looked at me. "Because for me, it's too silent. Besides it's my first birthday here in the Philippines. I'm more used to the way Americans celebrate their birthdays." she said.

"Then let me help you." and then I smiled.

She blushed. "You will?"

"Yes. What's your name again? I'm Richie, once again"

"Creal Mae. You can call me Creal." she said and smiled.

That's cute. Too cute I could die.

~🖋️🌙~