01| christmas

christmas, 1966

the table was packed with family from each side. uncles and aunts, cousins and grandparents, nieces and nephews gathered together all in one home. roxie's home, to be exact. her home in london.

"great turkey, mum," she spoke, her mouth full of christmas dinner.

everyone's eyes were directed toward her. she was the famous one at the table, after all. it wasn't always this way. everyone would be in their own little conversation with each other. now, everyone asks her questions about the life of a celebrity.

they're lucky she even came downstairs after thanksgiving's incident.

for less than a year, roxie was famous. she was a model who normally modelled the newest, hottest and most coveted clothes. at nearly twenty years old, she was already known around the globe.

everyone knew the name roxie cash.

"so, roxie, are the papers true?" one of her little cousins-who was also one of her biggest fans-piped up. "are you really dating bob dylan?!"

she sighed, taking a spoonful of mashed potatoes into her mouth. you could cut the tension in the room with a knife as everyone grew quiet. "no."

with that, a groan came from most of the younger kids at the table. "why not?" she asked.

"i met him once," roxie replied. "they took tons of photos of us and said we were together. you can't believe everything you read in the papers."

the little chatter faded back into itself as roxie got up from the table with a shove of her chair. she was so tired of being asked the same questions over and over again, now even by her own family.

she hopped back up the stairs and into her childhood bedroom. it was exactly how she left it just two years ago. the same bedspread, same curtains, same posters on the walls and cds tucked in shelves. her old record player still had a record in it. unsurprisingly, it was elvis.

the record was comfortably tucked inside of it. she remembered the first day she played it. may twentieth of that year. she previously met him only a few months later.

alas, the nostalgic moment was cut short by the sudden burst of lights entering her room. being on the second floor, roxie had to wonder how the paparazzi were taking pictures of her! she quickly rushed forward and snapped the blinds shut.

stupid photographers.

"stupid photographers," she muttered to herself.

she pulled her skirt up and re-tucked her shirt in after it came untucked. she turned around and faced her walls plastered with elvis, beatles, beach boys, rolling stones and audrey hepburn posters.

her hands caressed the small imperfections on the faces of those she admired, those who she imitated. she was humbled to think she met almost all the people on her walls. mick jagger, she had a short fling with, elvis invited her to a party, mike love sent her a card for her birthday. she was painfully close to bumping into john lennon at a gala, but she caught herself before he could even see her face.

"roxie!" her mother called up the stairs. "your grandparents are leaving! come say goodbye, now!"

roxie sighed to herself, smiling in satisfaction that everyone would finally begin leaving after four hours. then, her manager would pick her up in the morning, take her to california to discuss the current photoshoot and she'd be back to modelling.

racing down the stairs, she almost bumped into someone walking past her. she excused herself and met her grandparents at the door. as her grandmother hugged her, she heard her whisper something into her ear.

"don't let them fucking get you, rox," the old woman said hastily. roxie widened her eyes when she heard her demanding grandmother curse like that. "they're fucking devils, every one of them."

now smiling, her grandmother pulled away and started toward the door. that's when roxie realized she was talking about the media. press. news. "i won't, grandma."

the shrill scream of the phone sounded in roxie's room. it was her manager, she thought. she picked up her baby blue telephone connected to the wall and held it to her ear.

"hello?"

"boy, do i have news for you, roxie-baby!" her finicky manager, joe barnes answered.

"merry christmas to you too, mr. barnes,"

"roxie, i've told you, call me joe. it sounds so fucking professional when you call me mr. barnes'!" joe's high-pitched voice screeched.

"what's the good news, then... joe?"

"you know who the beatles are, right?" he questioned.

roxie grinned. "only the biggest rock band ever. why?" she twisted her dainty fingers around the small cord to the receiver.

"they want you to come with them on the magical mystery tour! they're making a movie, and they want you in it!" he shrieked.

roxie couldn't move—or even breathe for a moment. the world stood still until she could comprehend that sentence. "what?" she stuttered.

"their manager, brian epstein called and said the boys want you for the movie!" joe's excitement dripped through the phone. "whaddya say, roxie?"

"i- well, of course, i... wow... they want me? you're sure they want me? i'm no actress!" roxie uttered.

"obviously they want you! you're eye candy, darling!"

the only thing roxie could get out from then on was "yes" or "no". without a thread of doubt, she said yes to going with them on their magical mystery tour.

𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠: 𝐢𝐦 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐲 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐠𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐚 𝐮𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐫𝐞𝐠𝐮𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐲 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐝. 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭 (𝐦𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞) 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐥𝐲 𝐮𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐫 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐟𝐞𝐰 𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤𝐬. 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐢𝐭, 𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐮𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐢 𝐰𝐨𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐬 :). 𝐞𝐧𝐣𝐨𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐧𝐨𝐰 <33333