10| sleeping by the fireplace

trust.

you really have to trust someone to have them lead you down a dark, mysterious, twisty staircase.

it'd been weeks since george stepped out of the house. he wasn't exactly ready to go home to be with pattie, but it was beginning to get tiring. waking up next to the same familiar face-john, every morning. eating the same foods, straying away from fans and hoping they didn't see you through the endless glass windows roxie had, having the same perpetual routine every. single. day. it was never-ending. at least, that's what george felt. the break couldn't
end soon enough. only four or five more days. george could handle four or five more days in the dull, simplistic house, right?

"george, don't let go of my hand!" roxie squealed.

he had the candle in his hand, leading roxie and john downstairs to the basement to switch the breaker back on-or at least try. "i'm not!" he gripped her hand tighter, clutching the candleholder that held a mound of white wax at the bottom. "just a few more steps," he shivered.

as they reached the bottom of the steps, john let go of roxie's hand, but she still held george's. he held hers in one hand, but with the other, he held the candle to the breaker box and switched the lights on and off. the basement light slightly flickered on and off, but other than that, nothing. no light, just darkness.

george squeezed roxie's hand, fretting the fate to come; it was pouring rain outside, the car probably didn't have gas and the streets were flooded. sounded like another day in the house... "nothing."

"no?" her voice faltered.

"no," he replied shortly, her affable hand still in his indolent one. "i suppose since there's no heat, we'll just have to sleep by the fireplace."

with that, john, even more blindly than before, led them up the stairs, only his feet and lone hand leading him. roxie and george accompanied closely behind. george couldn't help but notice the exquisite view ahead of him; roxie's ass. he could barely see it, but with the candlelight, he knew it was there. suddenly, his foot got caught on the step below him. he instinctively put a hand in front of him, and it just so happened to land on her hip. she braced, accepting the hand with hesitation. smirking gently, he was mesmerized by the way her hips swayed carefully back and forth like a swing, his hand lazily hung on the left side as his other hand was in hers.

at top of the steps, he swiftly let go of her hip as to not draw attention from john. john weaved through the dark hallway and miscellaneous clothes that littered the marble floors, keeping a strong grip on roxie's hand.

"john?" roxie called out to the figure in front of her. "could you start a fire when we get there?"

john mumbled a short "yes", before they finally reached the beginning of the living room, next to the kitchen. the dripping moonlight was all they needed to separate, even if they didn't want to. john snickered once he got closer to the strange-looking fireplace; it was electric. all he had to do was simply press and hold on a button that started a fire.

roxie saw this, staring in awe. "you're fucking kidding me," she said monotonously. "you're telling me i've been hauling my ass, getting wood and making sure it didn't get wet in london... this whole time... when really it was just electric?" george sniggered slowly at the scene. john shook his head, holding back laughter. "i have bruises from where i've dropped wood!" outraged, roxie grabbed a blanket from a side closet and plopped onto the couch, staring out the window.