06| the beatles slumber-party

"don't you think this one goes better with my new hair?" roxie wondered as she turned around in front of the mirror. she straightened her newest dress.

"whatever you think," george muttered, laying down and flipping through a magazine on her bed, legs hanging off the bed. "why is it so important, anyway? the premiere isn't until next year."

"i need to be prepared," she murmured, going back into her bathroom. "just in case!"

george sighed. he didn't understand women. he didn't know if he wanted to understand women, either. all he did was nod his head and smile at her when she asked something, half the time not even listening to the question. this baffled roxie when she asked if he thought she looked fat, but she understood quickly after she asked him if he was a pretty princess.

"roxie? george?!" ringo called confusedly.

"in here!"

ringo wandered into the bedroom, looking around and raising his eyebrows. her room was oddly rockstar-ish for her being a model. the walls were tan, floors black and posters everywhere. a stray flood of papers was in a corner of her room, waiting to be touched. she even had a poster of the beatles while they were on ed sullivan.

"what're we doing?" ringo sat on the bed in his pyjamas, watching george read. "where's roxie?"

as if on cue, she came out of the bathroom in a new dress. this one was black. it was long and flowing, but slightly low cut in the front. her hair was in a messy braid down her neck. "what about this one?"

"stunning," infatuated, ringo smiled. "you could walk a runway in that number..." he admired.

george peeked his head up and nodded. "i like that one."

george's approval was all she needed. she walked back to the bathroom, smiling with satisfaction. ringo, who was still gazing at her as she walked away suddenly flopped next to george and sighed. he stared at the ceiling, thinking of nothing in particular.

"roxie sure is nice for letting us stay with her," ringo thought aloud.

george 'uh-huh'ed him, reading about vegetables and gardens in the magazine. he previously went vegetarian the year prior. he liked it so far.

"don't you think roxie's nice?"

"what?" george mumbled.

"roxie," ringo said as if george should've known. "do you think she's nice?"

"she seems nice, yeah," george replied. he sighed, furrowing his eyebrows and struggling to concentrate on anything. ringo leaned in closer, smiling crookedly. "yes, ringo?"

"oh, 'm just reading..." he leaned over george's shoulder, gazing at the odd vegetarian recipes. "'ave you talked to pattie lately?" he wondered.

george threw the magazine to the side, a bit frustrated ringo wouldn't let him read. "um... not really. you?" ringo laughed. of course he hadn't. "i tried calling her, but it went straight to voicemail."

ringo sat up. it wasn't like pattie to dismiss a call from george, her husband. she seemed distant lately. usually, she checked up on him during the tours or breaks. currently, the beatles were busy with their new album. john and paul tried to come over as much as possible, but fame kept them away from a lot.