02| meet the beatles

the day after

roxie awoke to a camera being shoved in her face. she tried to adjust her eyes as the flash went off like mad. she laid cramped in her seat on the small airplane.

her manager had just picked her up in their jet, and she didn't know an interviewer would be there until she woke up with the frazzled lady gushing over her and taking millions of photos.

"roxie! are you excited to be on the cover of record mirror this holiday?" the annoying sound woke her up. she sat up, still looking perfect as ever, deciding to be kind to this ignorant woman.

"i'm beyond ecstatic," she said. her voice couldn't have been more sarcastic. the interviewer didn't notice.

"how did you celebrate christmas, roxie? what did you get?" in her left hand, the woman had a digital voice recorder, holding it to roxie.

"i usually go home for the holidays," roxie explained, sitting up farther. "and, i got some socks and a blanket. that's all i wanted." she fixed her hair and made sure it didn't look like she'd been bedridden for weeks.

the interviewer laughed as if it was a joke, but it wasn't. that's all she got from her parents and family. "not counting the fan mail, i assume?"

roxie grinned. "oh, i get tons of fan mail," she said. "one of my fans sent me a candid of her boobs, which i still have. would you like to see-"

"no, thank you," the lady quickly answered the question she didn't ask for. "on another note, how was your break? did you see your family?"

"you paparazzi should know. i woke up this morning with cameras in my face as usual," roxie prompted.

the interviewer looked taken back and offended. she gave a slight smile, saying, "i'm a journalist, thank you,"

roxie scoffed. "and i'm a model. whatever you gotta do to make a living, right?"

the only reason roxie could conjure why the interviewer stayed on the jet was that they were in the air. she made sure to stay away from roxie after her "tantrum", as her manager put it. joe managed to convince the lady not to write a nasty article on roxie.

but, roxie didn't care. she was going places. the first stop, california to meet with the beatles and their managers. she couldn't express how nervous she was. she loved the beatles since she became famous almost as quickly as they did.

her first shoot was released and she became world-known a month or two before they went on ed sullivan. she didn't doubt they knew her back then when she had just turned sixteen. it was frightening, the suddenness of only being known in your town, then you're known worldwide.

roxie handled fame nicely, she thought. her manager coached her and coached her until she couldn't be coached any longer. still, she sometimes had her outbursts like the one on the plane, getting upset with a reporter or even another celebrity.

she truly wasn't made for fame, but she was a beautiful girl. she knew exactly what to do with her body, her face, how to pose and how to attract the eyes. she was basically every manager's dream. apart from her personality.