Chapter Nine

Following dinner, the family settled in the living room talking animatedly about the events of the day, in particular, the true love kiss shared by Regina and Emma. Well, Henry and Maleficent basked in that conversation whereas Regina and Emma sat quietly close together, Regina tucked into Emma's side and holding Emma's hand that is wrapped snugly around her shoulders.

"My dears, you both realize that a dragon only ever has one mate? We may sleep with many people but there is only one that we will mate with for all eternity." Maleficent explained as she sipped her wine.

"How does one know the difference between a mate and well someone she just sleeps with?" Emma asked

"Well, I'm quite sure the both of you have already felt the connection. I have no doubt that you felt it as soon as your eyes fell upon the other." The dragon mother described.

"Mmm..." Emma responded. She definitely felt a pull towards Regina in the diner.

"More wine, Mal?" Regina asked trying to evade the subject.

"Am I wrong, Regina?" The older blonde asked.

Glancing around the room, Regina noticed her son looking up at her frowning, Maleficent staring at her with a raised eyebrow and Emma looking down at the floor. "Well, I..." Regina began.

"I'm going out, be back later." Emma interrupted as she walked out of the room.

"Emma!" Regina called running after Emma. "Emma!" She called again as Emma tightened her red leather jacket around her and reached for the knob of the front door. "Miss Swan, if you walk out that door so help me..." She threatened.

"So, help you what, Regina?" Emma turned quickly on Regina, startling the brunette for a second. "So, help you for not believing in what we have? So, help you for thinking my kissing life into you was nothing but what... a miracle... oh no, I know what you think it is. For thinking restarting the beat of your heart was nothing but magic, that's it... right?" Emma taunted.

"Emma, no!" The brunette cried, wiping at the tears that threatened to fall from her eyes. "I believe in true love, Emma, I really do." She whispered walking up to her love. "And, I do love you. From the moment I saw you sitting on that stool looking like you could devour me, I felt that connection." She continued as she placed her palms against Emma's chest, feeling the beat of her hear below.

"Then why the hesitation?" Emma demanded

Staring into the emerald jeweled eyes, Regina took the moment to take a breath before explaining. "For most of my life, I believed my mother murdered my true love. To hear that he was never my true love, Emma..." Regina paused wiping her tears. "Don't you get it? All the hatred that I had inflicted on all of those people was in vain! I blamed a little girl for being the cause of Daniel's death. I thought he was my happy ending, Emma. Then all these decades later, you exploded into my life." Regina ended as Emma pulled her into a hug.

"Well, I'm sure you'll notice the very moment I do explode into you." Emma joked lightening the moment.

"You're an idiot." Regina teased as she rolled her eyes.

"Your idiot, Regina," Emma replied as her hands moved down Regina's small frame before tucking under her ample bottom and with ease Emma lifted Regina up. Instinctively, Regina wrapped her legs around Emma's waist as her hands clasped behind her nape.

"What are you doing?"

"Regina. Daniel was your first love and your broken heart swelled with a vengeance for his unjust death. What you did was most definitely not in vain, it was founded on your love for your first love. If you were shown or given love from your mother, everything may have been different. I have no doubt that your heart is big enough for more love if you're willing, and Daniel would want you to be happy." Emma spoke softly as she caressed the raven beauty's cheek with her own.