Chapter Ten

"Wow, I have to admit; I never saw that one coming," Regina mumbled.

"You and I both, dear. Lord, she looked at me as if she never knew who I was." Maleficent sobbed into her hands.

Fetching tissues from the box on the table, Regina moved over to embrace her friend and hand her the tissues. "How did you not see Ruby at the diner?" She asked.

"What has that place got to do with this, Regina?" Mal grumbled while dabbing at her tears.

"Ruby's grandmother is 'Granny', the owner of the establishment and Ruby is one of the waitresses."

"Well, she wasn't our waitress the first morning we went, I recall a blonde girl and when we met up that afternoon you and Emma had errands to run so I returned to my home without ordering. What am I going to do, Regina? She's my mate, I love her and I want her back. My life hasn't been the same without her and our girls."

"Why not tell her?"

With a look of disbelief, Maleficent responded. "Are you out of your mind? Do you expect me to walk out there and tell her that she's my mate and we have two daughters? You heard her, I'm the Queen of Darkness, that's all she knows me as."

"I dare to say that Snow White may have had a hand in this. Her and that gnat. Do you suppose they cast a memory spell over Ruby? It wouldn't surprise me to find that Snow White heard about your relationship, and sought out help to destroy it. I recall one time when my men followed Snow into a cave of werewolves. They thought they could arrest her easily. If only it was that simple, my men killed Anita's clan but the attack resulted in Ruby having a hand in her mother's death to protect Snow White against Anita, who held her responsible for the massacre. Rumor spread that Snow White went into that cave with the intention of leading my army to murder Anita and her clan so that Ruby wouldn't leave her side. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that, but we both know what Snow White is capable of when she wants something. She becomes obsessed." Regina speculated.

"If you are correct then it will only take a true love kiss to break the spell."

"I believe it is only a curse because she can sense relationship bonds without reasoning."

"True. Now, I just need to resolve how to kiss her without her turning wolf on me." Maleficent grinned.

"Get to know her again, Mal."

"Okay, that sounds easy enough. Thanks, Regina." The Dragon Mother concurred. "Why don't we join our loves?"

"Sure, are you alright?"

"I'm better, darling."

The two witches walked into the kitchen finding Emma and Ruby seated on the stool at the island drinking coffee. It's not difficult to see the resemblance between the mother and child.

Noticing the arrival of the pair, Emma detached herself from her seat and walked over to her mother. "Mama, are you okay?" She asked.

"I'm fine, my darling, I just needed to speak with your lovely partner." Her mother replied pecking Emma on the cheek and moving to sit beside Ruby.

After observing the tear-stained cheeks and red brimmed eyes of her mother, Emma was not convinced. Embracing Regina, she asked. "Are you sure she's okay, babe?"

"Yes, sweetheart. Now, I need my morning coffee." She smiled as she walked over to the coffee pot. "Mal, would you like a cup?"

"No thank you, dear. I tend more towards chocolate and cinnamon..."

"You're kidding!" Emma uttered abruptly with surprise. "That's where Henry and I get that from?" Emma laughed. "Let me make you something mama." She offered.