camp out//viii.

Sadie

The buzzing of my phone is what woke me up at 4:30 a.m. I sighed before stretching my arms out and rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. I roll myself out of bed. I got changed into a navy blue bikini top and black cheeky bottoms. I decided to leave my cover up and just head to the kitchen and grab an apple. 

After breakfast, I grabbed my board and placed it outside on the patio. I took a seat on the hammock on the deck and braided my hair back. I got up and stretched for about ten minutes, connecting my phone to my headphones and sticking them into my ears and jogging off down the road. 

I have to get back to training for the upcoming competition. I haven't done a full work out in a while and can feel myself falling out of shape. So I decided to go on a quick run and then see if the swell's any good so that I can get on my board. 

I ran around my neighborhood, looping back to my house once hitting the end of the forth block. As I ran back home, I felt a surge of energy run through me and I instantly knew today was going to be a good riding day. With a smile on my face and the sun beginning to rise behind me, I made my way up the driveway. I dropped my phone and sunglasses off in the living room and then proceeded to go outside and grab my board, strapping the ankle leash on and running out towards the beach.

I felt the energy of the wave surging beneath me as I drop in. The smile on my face seems to widen as I ride the wave until it dies. I catch wave after wave, the sets not seeming to take a break. 

 The sun was now out and shining harshly amongst the water, making it glisten brightly. It's times like this, early morning sessions, all by myself, that make me realize just how lucky and blessed I am to be the person I am and to live the life I do. 

Blessed. I sit up on my board in a hurry letting a shocked gasp escape my mouth. "Shit." I look out to shore and can see Johnny waving his arms around. "SADIE! COME ON! YOU'RE LATE." I laugh lightly and shake my head before turning my board around and paddling back. 

Johnny tosses me a towel and a my white sundress as I undo my leash and tie my wet hair into a bun. "How mad is mum?" Johnny laughs and shakes his head. "Well it's only the third week that you've been late to church." I slap his arm gently making him flinch and nudge my side. We ran to the service tent laughing together. I earned a light glare from my mum that turned into a little giggle and eye roll as she sent me a small smile. 

Christine was leading the choir and everyone in the audience to a song. We all sang along and listened to the lecture of the day. As the lesson finished, Christine made her way around to everyone saying hello. She met my eyes and I sent her a bright smile in which she returned before excusing herself from her previous conversation. She rushes over to me and pulls me into a strong hug. 

"Sadie! How are you?" I pull away and send her a smile. "I've been good. Getting back into working out to get ready for the competitions." I told her excitedly. My mum walks over and puts her hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah plus there's a new boy." I groan, "Mum!" Leaning away from her as she and Christine start giggling like a bunch of school girls. "Well he's lucky to have you. I expect to meet him eventually young lady!" I laugh at her but nod nonetheless, giving her one last hug before we parted ways.

I watched the waves crash, one after another. "Go on, go call Lana and get out there." I heard my dad speak up. I smiled at him, giving him a quick hug and ran off to the house. 

30 minutes later Alana was in my living room, board in hand and bikini on. I grabbed my keys and we drove down to one of our favorite beaches, the one we took the boys cliff diving. 

As I was driving Lana kept giving me this weird look. I finally laughed, "What?" She squealed loudly, causing me to flinch. "Calum asked me to be his girlfriend!" I smiled brightly at her and let out a cheer. "Finally! I'm so happy for you!" We settled down once we got to the beach. "Speaking of, do you want to invite the boys?" I asked and she nodded, taking out her phone to call her new boyfriend. They talked for a while as I leaned on my board smiling at the way my best friends face lit up as she talked to Calum. She ended the call, setting her phone back in her bag, turning to me with a bright smile. They'll be here soon." I smiled back and we raced each other to the edge of the cliff, jumping off with our boards.