9

It was true. I did see Lazarus as a monster. A very hot monster. We didn't talk normally for days.

I continued to work for him and keep his castle clean while he paid me. When I needed something I would ask, but he would never say anything back.

It was the start of August, I knew Lazarus was getting worried because he started to stay up until mid-afternoon pacing in front of the door that had the trap door in it. I was still curious about it, but I knew Lazarus wasn't happy with me.

"Are you nervous for those people to come?" I finally worked up the courage to ask him. We were sitting at the long dining table. I was eating a nice dinner of mashed potatoes, gravy and a couple of slices of roast beef. Lazarus, on the other hand, was drinking from a foiled coloured pouch that contained you guessed it, blood. He had started drinking it in front of me right after our argument in the middle of July.

"Why do you ask?" He snapped, his eyes didn't meet mine.

"I just keep seeing you pace, is everything okay?" I tried to sound sympathetic.

"Why do you fucking care?" His head snapped towards me as he slammed his drink on the table.

"I-I just" I stuttered.

"How many are coming?" I asked.

"15 vampires" he took a sip of his drink.

"What will they think about you having a human here?"

"I'm not sure, I have never owned one" he smirked.

"I don't belong to you" I sneered.

"Not physically, but you rely on me financially" his eyes snapped to the door that was locked.

"What should I be making for them?" Lazarus turned back to me. His burgundy eyes searched my face, he threw his head back and laughed.

"Darling, we are vampires" he chuckled. "You don't need to prepare us anything" he laughed. I didn't respond back to him, I just stood with my plate and left, I didn't even bother with pushing my chair in. I did, however, put my plate in the sink.

I practically crawled up the stairs to my bedroom, I was so tired of everything. I just wanted Lazarus to talk to me. I missed his stone-cold voice, he did light the fireplace every morning for me still, but he never spoke. I missed that. I didn't love him or anything, but I knew I cared for him. I wanted to be his friend, I wanted to be close but I couldn't do that.

That night I practically jumped into bed and fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

The next morning was the same as any other. I woke up to Lazarus lighting a fire in the fireplace. He was wearing his usual attire with his hair in a ponytail.

"Are you not going to talk to me ever again or are we going to work this out?" I asked him. He froze. He sat frozen for a minute before he stood and turned on his heel to look at me.

"What is there to say to you?" He responded.

"I don't know, how was your day Ellie? We have many vampires coming over in two weeks please prepare this, this, and this, I'm sorry for being a heartless jerk" I stared at him. He just stared at me, his eyes help no emotion and his lips sat in a straight line. I didn't wait for him to respond I just pushed the blankets off me and slipped out of the large bed. He looked at me, his eyes were slightly wide, he parted his lips to talk, but nothing came out.

"Just get out so I can change" I huffed as I pushed on his chest, it was muscular. Part of me wanted to see him shirtless again so I could see the details of his muscles, shut up, I told myself. Slowly, but surely he moved, I pushed him out of my room and slammed the door in his face. Once he was out I grabbed a uniform and exited my room. Lazarus wasn't standing in front of my door anymore he was by his room. I ignored his stare while I shuffled to the bathroom. I quickly undressed as soon as I was in the bathroom, and the bathroom door was closed.