The Passing: Riverbank

"What's that supposed to mean?" I was a little concerned, he had never been like this in the past week I've been with him.

"I feel like it would be cheating." Cheating? What in the world is he talking about?

"Cheating? What-"

"I really like you, Kel." Ellis states, getting red in the face, "can one of y'all handle this?" I lock eyes with the boy. He was very sweet, and maybe meeting him wasn't coincidental. Maybe this a sign...

Coach nodded and took leadership of the situation.

"You mean to tell me there ain't no way of lowerin' bridge?" Coach asks, suspicious of their incompetence.

"No, the generator is outta gas! If you can get over to the other side and fill it up, we can cover you!" She yells down to us, and turns to her fallen comrade.

"That's terrific cupcake! Look, is there a man up there we can talk to?" Nick yells, pushing Rochelle out of the way. I was obviously offended.

"Boo-hoo! Whatever will I do? GO TO HELL, COLONEL SANDERS!" The girl was being super dramatic and imitating Nick. But, I loved it. Nick could be an ass, and I was always happy to hear someone else call him out! Rochelle and I laugh, and it makes Nick steam over with anger.

"I can't believe you used to be a con-artist." Rochelle joked, clearly shocked at how he got so many women to fall for him. To be honest, me too.

We tried talking it over, we tried trading some ammo, but they just weren't very open to the idea. What really struck me was the fact the biker door mentioned vampires. That was where Nick drew the line.

"Lower the goddamn bridge so we can drive our goddamn car across!" Nick was fuming at this point. Honestly, it was pretty funny.

"Is there any of you five who isn't an asshole?" The biker dude tried to get us to lighten up. It wasn't working, especially when you call us assholes. Just because Nick is one, doesn't mean we all are.

"I'm telling ya for the last goddamn time, LOWER THE DAMN BRIDGE, you greasy, vest-wearing monkey!" I could practically see the rage coming from the biker man.

"GO TO HELL SUIT!" Nick was getting ready to climb up the bridge himself to kill him. We weren't about to let that happen.

"Hey! We don't do that to people. I don't care if you don't like them. We don't kill the living!" I talk to Nick, and place my hand directly in front of his chest, stopping him from moving. He was aggravated, but I was willing to deal with his whining than losing another healthy human.

"If we get the gas from the other side, will you help us lower it?" Rochelle asks, being much more polite than Nick could have ever dreamed about being. They all nodded and we began to form a plan.

"See Nick? You should try being nice sometimes." Nick just rolled his eyes and gathered his belongings. Or better yet, what was left of his belongings.

We headed to the other side. It looked very deserted, whoever managed to get across the bridge before it was raised, were lucky. It seemed like most people made it out of the town.

"Through this park!" Coach says, leading us with his double barrel shotgun. We followed the path through the little town. There were several stores along a street, scrawling with zombies. That, none of us liked.

We searched through several rooms and buildings, occasionally finding lockers stocked with adrenaline shots, pain killers, health kits, flashlights, and even weapons. This was one of CEDA's first outposts when the first outbreak happened. They had several newer posters we hadn't seen in Georgia, meaning that new information had been obtained.

"Do you think we can trust these people? And that...guy?" Rochelle asks, as we tread farther towards the alley.

"What's the matter, sweetie? Ya playin' hard to get now?" Nick says, clearly observing the way she had presented herself towards the man.

"Wow, I'm not even gonna comment." Rochelle laughs it off and Nick being a jackass. It seemed to be a routine.

"Look, there are probably ten guys left on the planet. You and Kelsey aren't getting any younger." Nick smirked, but we let it roll off our backs.

"I don't know, the biker guy was better looking than you." Rochelle pops off. I was actually shocked she said that, considering she mostly kept to herself.

We continued to look for any and all supplies. Only finding scraps of CEDA supplies. As we got around the roundabouts of cars, we did find something none of us expected to find.

"Oh my god, is that a-"

"Witch? I think so, but she's in a wedding dress..." Coach commented.

"The dress, the crying...it brings back some bad memories." Nick actually sounded sincere for once. I might have seen a bit of a tear slip down his cheek. The man has feelings!

"You think she's crying cause she got left at the alter? Man, that's a shitty thing to do." Ellis whispered to me. I felt bad for her, but she is infected. And we most certainly don't have a cure nor a vaccine. We simply can't help her.

"Shhh!" Coach looked to Ellis, "does anyone see the wedding cake?" Out of all things to be worried about, he's worried about eating.

"I'm taking this as a sign, Kelsey..." As Ellis gets down on one knee, he slips and hits the boom box behind him. The witch screams and runs towards him, completely enraged. The music was so loud, I couldn't hear my own thoughts.

"NO! JESUS, NO THANK YOU!" Ellis tries to turn the music down, but there's a million switches and none of them directly states OFF.

"I'VE CHANGED MY MIND! I DO NOT WANT TO GET MARRIED!" Ellis was running in circles, running from the witch.

"ELLIS!!" I yelp, hitting the witch several times before she collapsed into Ellis.

"Honeymoon's over, bitch." Nick says, putting the final bullet in her brain. He tucked the pistols in his back pocket, smearing the blood on his face, unknowingly.

"Let's get in the safe room, y'all. I'm tired."

"Yeah, tired of your bullshit." It's not Nick unless he's an ass.