Dark Carvival: Fairgrounds

We had been at Whispering Oaks for a while at this point. We were running on little to no sleep, Nick was starting to show his tiredness by acting out and lashing back at us when things weren't looking bright for us.

The safe room was comforting, but it barely gave us breathing room between the five of us.

"Let's just get on with it, I guess." I said, grabbing a health kit that was presumably left behind by a potential survivor. There was also an allotment of grenades, pills, ammunition, and adrenaline.

With that, we were out the door and on our way to whatever we saw next. Which just so happened to be an amusement park. A fairground...more or less.

Coach and Ellis made remarks about the state of the park, mostly from their childhood memories. I'm sure they would ride the coasters and little games if it weren't for the undead roaming around the world.

It had crossed my mind that we could be some of the last living, breathing people on the planet. I was scared, that if we failed at surviving, we would be the end of the human race. Just like that.

If the infected were to survive, they would rule the world until death comes knocking. If they don't eat, then they will slowly decay and decompose back into the earth. Maybe one day, even in a million years, there will be normal life again. Maybe that's too far-fetched, but it was the one thing I could keep hope for.

"Keep up now! We need to stay together." Coach was, unironicly, coaching us. Things were going okay, for once. This area at the fair was pretty clear, only a few infected here and there.

"Holy shit, KIDDING LAND!" Ellis was cheering, taking the shotgun off of his shoulder, including the strap. I grinned, and Coach said something under his breathe. I didn't know what he had said, but it was probably something stupid about clowning around.

"You're not serious?" Nick dropped his stance with his pistols and rolled his eyes. He really didn't enjoy having fun. Why not? We all are going to die. It's just a matter of time.

"Dead ASS, man!" 

"Okay...just one ride." I agreed to go with Ellis. Nick seemed to be slightly angry. Considering what we were doing, I'd be angry if teammates ran off to ride some kiddie ride. But, it wasn't just a kiddie ride. It was the first bit of fun I'd had since the outbreak. Ellis was very sweet, and hasn't done anything but help me. I couldn't help but feel in debt to him.

"Thanks for being with me, Kel." Ellis smiled and grabbed my hand. Jace wasn't a very lovey-dovey lover. He used a different expression of love; words. A part of Jace was still in my heart. After all,  we never broke up. He died.

"Ah, shucks. You might make me blush, dude."

"Dude? Haha, you sound like we're just friends. I-is that what this is?" Ellis was internally freaking out, but he tried to hide how he felt. He wasn't the best one when it came to havng a poker face. Nick, however, I don't think anyone could know what was really going on his brain. That is, until he speaks his mind.

"I'm not sure...but I do like you. It's just-" Ellis was super special and you wouldn't find a guy like him anytime soon.

"Nick. How? He's such an ass!"

"I have been seeing the way he looks at you, like you're a piece of meat he wants to eat. Speaking of, me and my buddy Keith tried to sneak a couple squirrels into the kitchen at a hotel once. We ended up deep fryin' em! They was good until the fun police came and took us to jail. What a day that was..."

Nick looks at me like that? I had always felt like someone was watching me, but Nick? 

"There you are, now let's get this show on the road." Nick walked up on Ellis and I jumped. I was processing the information.

"Oh! Ellis, keep your nose out of other peoples' business. Especially when it involves me." Nick scoffs at Ellis, and then winks at me. I gave Ellis a reassuring hug, and he seemed to calm down after that.

Ellis stands up, but slips to the button on one of the rides. The alarms sounded and the ride began. There were infected from every angle at this point. As soon as the gate opened, we fled and headed to the breaker. 

"TURN THAT SHIT OFF!" Coach yelled, and managed to be the first to the box. In the corner of my eye, I spot the dimly-lit safe room.

"Guys! This way!" I shout and spout out a few rounds, leaving the infected dead on the concrete. 

This carnival sucked.