No Rest For the Weary

I hadn't left my bed. How could I walk around when I had two beating hearts lying in my hands?

"Hey, so I heard the letter delivery went well! What'd they say?" Rochelle came in, happily swinging herself around the room.

"Well, they both told me how much they love me. But-"

"There are no buts, Kelsey. You can't keep stringing them both along. You and I both know how wrong that is." Rochelle sat herself beside me, and began reading both letters.

"I need air." I stood up from the bed, preparing myself to head to the upper deck. They might be up there, waiting for a response that I hadn't prepared for.

I was met with the gentle wind blowing through my hair, and I couldn't help but close my eyes. If the world was like this, we could have lives again.

"Your mind must be fried."

I smiled, and turned around. It was Coach. Whenever I was around, I felt safe. It reminded meow the way I felt about my dad. He was protective, gentle, and remorseful. Those days seem so distant now, but those days were the days I longed for.

Coach hugged me, and I let it all come pouring out of me. Every tear, every ugly sob. In that moment, I was reminded of a memory of my father and I.

(EIGHT YEARS AGO)

"What if I can't get in? I can't not get in! I have no backup plan!" I was freaking out, and on the verge of tears. I was filling out my medical school application.

"Kelsey, I know you better than anyone. You will get in." My dad was trying to comfort me. Without trying, his smile could make everything better, even the worst of situations. It was like he always knew what to say.

"But what if I don't?"

"Stop asking yourself 'what if' and start asking yourself 'when?' Then you'll get somewhere." He laid his hand gently on my shoulder. His smile had a way of removing my problems from existance.

"Okay. When I get in, I have to move out. The school is closer if I just live with Jace." I say, actually realizing that I will be moving out soon. It's a little scary, but I think I'm ready for it.

"I'm going to miss you Kel."

"No, I'm the one who is going to miss you. Sometimes I wonder what I would do without you."

"Whenever you miss me, remember our song," my dad was one of then kindest men I knew, "When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me speaking words of wisdom; let it be." He sang. He wasn't the best singer, but was most certainly not the worst either. Those words would forever be engraved into my heart.

(PRESENT)

"Thanks for the pep-talk. I just needed a minute to get it all out." I sigh, breathing in the fresh air. There were no infected, it was just us and the boat.

"It's tough being loved by two men. I for one, couldn't imagine it." Coach laughed at his own comment, earning my laughter.

As it got dark out, I decided to go back to my bed. I wasn't getting myself anywhere if I didn't sleep. But I made a promise to myself that in the morning, I would make my choice. No more putting it off.

Like they always say, there is no time like the present.