Chapter 20: Homecoming/Abby's 18th Birthday

🌸 Abby 🌸

Since my asthma attack a couple weeks ago, they made me quit cheerleading, which was for the best. But I was still in the stands cheering on my friends.

The cheerleaders had let me come down and stand with them at the halftime show. I was standing next to Zach who I was currently complementing on his butt.

"What the fuck...oh no." Jess's group of HO was currently storming the field and yelling "Hey Hey Ho Ho Rape Culture's Got to Go."

"Hey Justin. Go get your girlfriend." Scott Called.

"Shut Up, Just Wait." He said and team was silent. They started stripping down to their underwear and the guys started cat calling. Zach rolled his eyes and looked at me.

"At least you turned down joining this group." I snickered.

"Stop." He laughed. And put his arm Around me. The cops came running on to the field and Jess was yelling at the crowd about Is this what it takes for you to see us.

"Hey, Nice Tits." A couple of guys from the Hillcrest team yelled at her.

"Fuck off."

Then another one came up behind her and grabbed her boobs. "WHAT THE FUCK!" Justin slammed his helmet down and our football teams started fighting.

"Can we just not play this team without fighting!?" I ran onto the field trying to get Jess out of there

"ABBY, GET OUT OF HERE!" Monty yelled and I ignored him, I was searching for Jess when I turned around and Monty was pulling me out of the crowd. "Abby, GO!" I tried fighting him and I heard a loud snapping noise.

Then I heard Zach screaming in pain. In that moment time stood still. I looked around and Zach was laying on the ground screaming.

"ZACH!" I ran to his side and held his hand. "The paramedics are coming. We're gonna get you out of here. Hold on Zach." Bryce ran onto the field I was trying not to cry. He was squeezing my hand, and yelling about the pain the fight was broken up "come on Abby, we're meeting Zach's mom at the hospital." I was freaking out. I didn't want to leave him.

I just sat in silence on the way to the hospital. I didn't know what had happened to Zach's knee. All I could think about if he was gonna be okay. Bryce opened my door. "Come on, Zach's mom is waiting for us." He grabbed my hand and we walked into the emergency wing of the hospital.

"Zach Dempsey, I'm his Girlfriend." The receptionist started typing.

"There you are." Zach's mom ran over to us. "He's back in the surgery wing. It's his knee. Some kid tackled him right at the knee, it's shattered." My heart dropped, Zach's future, his scholarships...all gone in one game.

I sat in the waiting room holding Bryce's hand it was around 1 AM and the surgeon came and got his mom. He side hugged me. "I'm gonna grab food from McDonald's want anything?" I shook my head. "I'll be back."

About a half hour later his mom came out. "Abby, he's asking for you." I stood up composed myself, and walked into his room.

His knee was elevated and he looked
really upset. "Hey Zach..." he looked over at me and smiled.

"Hey Abigail." He has moved himself over and patted the bed. "Come lay with me." I kicked my shoes off and laid with him. "So, I'm gonna have another surgery in a couple weeks and I'll be in a immobilizer for 6 months, then I should be back to normal." He still had a frown.