Chapter Eight: Inconvenient

"I'm going and that's that. There's nothing you can do to stop me."

"You are not going over there! He almost killed you. I will not let you go and see him. You're not leaving my sight," Jared yells after me, following me down the hallway and towards the front door.

It's been two days since I woke up. Jake still hasn't came around. Sam says Jake's waiting on the okay from me before he does. So that's exactly what I'm going to give him. I'm going to go over his house and tell him I want him around. That is, if I can get past Sergeant Jared.

"I'm going whether you like it or not," I say, slipping my shoes on. I stand up to grab my car keys off the hook but before I can, Jared snatches them.

"No, you're not! Embry, a little help here?" Jared groans, turning to Embry who is leaning against the wall.

Embry stares at me for a few moments before shrugging his shoulders. He leans up off the wall and walks towards the door.

"She can go," he says.

"What?!" Jared shouts.

"Yes! Thank you Emmy-"

"But I'm going with her," he adds, a sly smirk spreading across his lips.

I groan as Embry opens the front door. I stomp towards it, a look of defeat on my face. "Fine! Fine! I don't care. Let's just go," I retort.

As I walk through the doorway I hear chuckles coming from behind me. Of course they would laugh about this. I trudge over to Embry's truck and climb into the passenger seat. Folding my arms across my chest, I slump down. A few seconds later, Embry hops in and slams his door shut. He starts the engine and begins to drive down the dirt road.

"You know, you look really adorable when you're mad," he says, a light laugh flowing off his honey covered tongue.

"Hm."

"Oh come on, (Y/n). Don't tell me you're mad at me for coming," he says. I can literally hear the smirk in his voice. His sickly sweet, extremely intoxicating voice.

"Hm."

"Baby, talk to me," he purrs, and once again I can hear the smile entangling his words. I turn my gaze to the window in an attempt to ignore my tempting boyfriend.

"Hm."

"(Y/n). You better say something," he warns, his rousing voice turning slightly stern. A smirk of my own spreads across my lips, a new sense of confidence flooding into my body. I turn to Embry, and wait for him to glance over to me.

"Hm."

Embry immediately slides the car over, throwing it into park. He turns in his seat to face me, an unreadable expression on his face. He leans forward across the middle seat of the truck, resting his arm on my head rest.

"Baby," he warns, his eyes darkening as my new name rolls off his tongue.

I wouldn't be able to say something even if I wanted to. It's like my body just froze. I can't move. Or speak. Or even breathe. I'm just a frozen statue.

A small frown tugs at the corners of Embry's lips as he leans in closer to me. He pauses only inches from my face, his gaze never leaving mine.

"Are you mad at me?" Embry asks again, his voice sounding more concerned than stern this time. I stare at him for a moment before slowly shaking my head.

"Good," he says, closing the space between us and pecking my lips quickly before pulling away.

He throws the car back in drive and continues to Jake's house. He grabs my hand and begins rubbing his thumb on the back of it. A hot blush runs across my cheeks. I turn my gaze to the window and wait for us to arrive.