10. Stormy Day

I changed the end of the previous chapter a bit so I recommend reading the last part of it to fully understand this chapter.

Also I'm a bit ashamed to say that this chapter is mostly filler -I mean there is no real meaning to this chapter- it just expands on the relationship of Max and Nikki lmao.

But with that let's get into it

*Nikki's POV*

The sun shined trough the very tall trees that surrounded Camp Campbell.
"It's a beautiful day outside. birds are singing, flowers are blooming... on days like these, kids like you... Should be playing outside!" David yelled trough a megaphone but nobody listened.

Max and I were chilling in our tent talking about how bad the rehearsals went yesterday.
Suddenly something smashed on our tent, when we looked outside we saw an absolute mayhem.
Lots of things were being pulled up by the wind and thrown meters away.
Water of the lake was being forced on the land and people were screaming.

"Everyone come to us, it's safe in here!" David yelled trough the megaphone.
Of course everyone listened now, perhaps because their own safety was at stake but still.

Max and I ran to the mess hall as fast as we could, we didn't want to get too wet.
When we closed the door behind us we got engulfed by the warmth of the mess hall and for the first time I realised that the mess hall was actually pretty cozy.

People were just chatting with each other like there was no raging storm outside.
There was a lot of laughter and it looked like people actually had a lot of fun, mind you most of the time there is always one person arguing with another.

Max and I sat next to Nerrison, I mean Nerris and Harrison.
Me and Nerris immediately started talking and Max and Harrison just sighed realising that they would have to talk otherwise I would just force them to.

"So how was your day?" Harrison started.
"It was good I guess, it was just ruined by this sudden weather change, how was yours?" Max answered but he didn't respond.

"Does anyone want some food? Quartermaster just made some and it's mmm, very good" David asked while biting on what I think is supposed to be a nice chicken leg but it looked more like deformed shoe dipped in tomato ketchup.

People started picking up some food followed by genuine disgust from all the people who tried it, I have a slight feeling that the food didn't really appeal, but hey that's just a theory.

"What is in this stuff?" Someone yelled from the back of the mess hall, most likely Ered.
"I know right, is this stuff even edible?" Nerris responded.

"You know I don't think it was a theory this is just a fact, Quartermaster's so called "food" sucks" I thought to myself.

David was trying to be as sneaky as possible and get some board games out of a cupboard but I'm pretty sure that everyone understood what he was trying to achieve.
Okay everyone but Space Kid, he casually asked what David was doing.

David made his way to the middle of the mess hall and announced himself.
"Everyone, I have some board games to play. They may be a little bit old because even I used to play with them years ago, gosh I remember those days like they were yesterday." He exclaimed while gently laying the boxes on the table he was standing next to.

I think David expected that people would fight to play one of these game because he looked a bit puzzled when nobody actually went to get one.

"You know what, I really want to play a board game" I thought to myself "You know, I'll just ask Max if he wants to play a game"

"H- Hey M- Max, d- do you want to play a game or something I don't know" I stuttered.
"Why the hell am I feeling this way? Normally it isn't hard for me to talk to him why is this different?"
"Oh sure I guess" Max said although I didn't hear him.
"What is wrong with me??" I thought very confused.

"Hello? Are you listening to me Nikki?" Max said pissed because I apparently didn't listen to him.
"O- Oh I'm so sorry M- Max, I was lost in my t- thoughts" I said while apologising another fifty times.

"I- I'll get a board game, a- alright?" I asked.
Max didn't respond but simply nodded and continued talking to Harrison, it looked like they actually had fun which was surprising.

I returned to my table with checkers because that's the only board game I know how to play, I know it's pretty sad.
"D- Do you want to p- play this?" I asked Max

"Uhh yeah sure.." Max responded in a bored manner.
I threw the board on the table and divided the checkers between us.

"Oh you are going to have a bad time..." I said maliciously and moved one of my black checkers to one of the white parts.
Now it was Max's turn and she did, nothing?
"Uhh Max?.. it's your turn!"

"Uh yeah right, umm go fish?" He said. "Nikki, I've never played this game in my entire life."

I stared at his cute face in shock that she never played Checkers.
"This is going to be a long day..." I thought to myself